Dive Flag or Marker buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well for what it is worth if the is a dive flag or bouy in the water a boat has to give it a birth of 100 meters and nothing less so who ever it was that picked up your mark was in violation of this rule i think a lot of so called skippers should go back to skipper school and learn this (any 1 can get a boat licence some places u do not even need 1)

skippy77:
well for what it is worth if the is a dive flag or bouy in the water a boat has to give it a birth of 100 meters and nothing less so who ever it was that picked up your mark was in violation of this rule i think a lot of so called skippers should go back to skipper school and learn this (any 1 can get a boat licence some places u do not even need 1)
Look at the link I posted above for the actual rules. 100', not 100 meters, is the exclusion zone. Under some conditions, boats can enter the exclusion zone at slow, no wake speeds.

The laws in most othe US states are similar, although the distances vary a bit, and the various exceptions that allow one to enter the exclusion zone also vary a bit. Nowhere have I ever seen a hard and fast 100 meter exclusion zone.

they have that iexclusion zone in the canarys

There are quite a few people out there with more money than common sense. Many of these people buy boats. Most know little or nothing about what the rules are, of those that take a required course, many will retain that knowledge just long enough to take the test and then forget it in midst of trying to decide whether one ice chest or two will be required to hold their beer. (Nothing against beer, quite the contrary)
Which is why I gave up flying dive flag long ago, unless perhaps from boat. They seem to attract these idiots rather than keep them away. There are times and places places I will also wait till at or very near surfacing before popping an smb, for the same reasons.
Our local lakes have more than fair share of these idiots. Often driving fast, powerful boats. You get a lot of "lets haul butt over there to see what that is" people. I usually come up anchor line at boat or shore if in any way possible.

I haven't read the whole thread--sorry. I think it would be cool if my halcyon sausage had a little dive flag attached!

catherine96821:
I haven't read the whole thread--sorry. I think it would be cool if my halcyon sausage had a little dive flag attached!
I want a safety sausage with spongebob on it, perhaps with a dive flag in his hand. On another thread somewhere, someone asked why anyone would want to 'make their own' SMB, and you have just added to list of reasons. (beside the fact that some of us just like to tinker with things :D)

don't worry, i won't run over and post my idea on decostop!

Just a quick refresh of an older topic.

Am I going to be alright to use one of my 4.5 feet Halcyon SMB's as my dive marker when shore diving?

Should I strap a dive flag to it or is it obvious enough to avoid any "legal entaglements"?

Back
Top Bottom