Dive Flag or Marker buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do not have one when drifting. My SMB works pretty well, gets deployed on my stop in most cases.

We have one on the boat in case the Coast Guard approaches. Boaters here do not seem to really respect them too much unfortunately.

I feel strongly about putting them up before surfacing. The practicality and effectiveness matters more to me than what the law is. Enforcement seems pretty weak to me.

Not dangerous if you are holding the spool as you can just let go.

I've never had anyone try to take the marker (I always fly one) but I've nearly been run over twice this year and had the jet skis use the marker for a "race buoy" (at least that's what it sounds like) The first time was in Charlevoix, early and it was a super charged bass boat (he never looked once, veered at 50 feet going at least forty MPH and ignored the finger) the second was another fisherman intent on gear, that had no remorse after several spirited adjectives and an invite back to the boat launch (we were three hundred yards away from the launch). Personnaly, I just as soon deal with them myself (if they have a spine) than continue to pester local authorities to post an informational plaque at the boat launch, the diving activity doesn't draw in enough tourist dollars to make the news. I am , however, working on a small acoustic torpedo (akim to the 19CF tank) that will certainly make the news, I'll update you with the successes and where they may be available. Jim

I like the idea of the tank torpedo! :D Need any help in developing it? I think stearage may be the tough issue to solve.:confused:

In July we had some nosey old woman call the police on us for not having one this was shortly after a span of 2 weeks where 2 divers were killed in seperate incidents both run over by boats the area we were diving is terrible for seadoos and boats alike using the flags as a slolom course . We simply explained to the officer why we were not towing a flag (shore dive ) and he agreed we were probably better off without one he sure didnt have much to say when we cornered him why the local marine patrol was not doing more as far as ticketing etc the idiots on the seadoos and boats who who are the real problem . In my opinion fly the flag on a boat and carry a SMB when shore diving and use it accordingly but a buoy is nothing more than a target for morons.

Back
Top Bottom