Dive flag configuration 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, in addition to what is here, you're right Kunk35. This gives much more food for thought for when we're instructing OW and other newer divers.

One of those topics that would go well in a casual conversation during check out dives.

Drift diving, the orange ball is easier to manage in that with a strong current it won't get pulled under as one of these flags will.

The boat follows the ball, staying well within the 300 ft range, while flying it's own flag.

In Boynton and south, where the current is not as swift, ususally buddy teams can get away with pulling their own flag.

I kind of assumed that was the case. I'm orginally from Michigan so I don't know what the boating laws and regulations are here in the ocean. Is there a reason they don't have to also carry a flag? to alert someone to what the orange ball means? We all know boaters are dangerous but not using a dive flag seems like a no-no to me to at least make it known what the ball is doing.

I get why they don't use the flag on the ball, the ripping current, but I just don't know what the law is about the flag use. any idea?

The boat flie a large flag. Much bigger than a diver is required to or could ever hope to manage. The divers (usually) are well within the statutary distance.

If need be, the boat will radio or otherwise signal encroaching boats. They will even place themselves between the divers and other boats.

Otherwise, most of us carry DSMB's we send up from the bottom if we are seperated from the guy (Dave lol) towing the float. Some of which have flags on them.

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes

If I am diving from a boat I no longer carry a flag with, I just put it on the boat and carry a DSMB and spool with me. its easier that way though its the law here to tow a flag or stay within 75ft of a stationary flag.

I always cary a SMB in my BC pocket on every single dive. When we go do Jupiter we always carry a deployable SMB that we can inflate at depth and send up (using as a marker and a easy saftey stop).

I'm guessing the laws here in FL have a much greater distance and thats why you can use the flags on the boat and the ball for the DM.

In Michigan divers have to stay within 100ft of the flag and the boats have to stay 300ft off the flag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom