Dive Flag Awareness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offthewall1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What Dive Flag Awareness?

If anyone out there thinks they are safe underwater because they are flying a dive flag or pulling one along with them on an upline... think again.

I often believe you're better off without a dive flag/float. Flying one from a boat can't hurt... but here is why NOT to pull a flag / float with you while diving... two stories.

1. While diving, my buddy was pulling a float with a flag sticking out of the top. Some idiot boater pulls up to it and starts pulling it up to see what was attached. Now we were diving in shallow water (30 feet) so the trip to the surface wasn't horrible... but imagine the look on the boaters face when my buddy surface bearing his knife...

This could have been a worse situation... being pulled up from depth... in which cutting yourself free or letting go of a held line would have been the options.. but

Imagine scenario

2. A boat inadvertantly runs over your line and begins spinning it up on their prop shaft. This could be a much faster trip up and with a much messier ending.

Now for the story of how 99% of boaters have either no knowledge or concern for Dive Flags.

I'm sitting on my boat. Flying both the international alpha and diver down flags. I've got a giant Diver Working Below float 50 feet off my bow and another 50 feet off my stern. I'm the only anchored boat within miles... and so...

... here comes the idiot boater (a wind fairy - under power). He cuts across my bow between the bow and the diver below float and damn near decapitates the diver working below in 11 feet of water. If I'd have had a shotgun I'd have put a round in the side of that boat.

Another story... treasure hunting with a float on my back (and my boat anchored nearby flying the two flags) in just 7 to 8 feet of water, I hear a boat motor approaching... so I surface to find a small runabout not more than 10 feet from me. The idiot on board yells over - what you lookin for? Does he realize he could have run me over.

All I can say is forget the flags and floats - they appear to attract idiots more than keep them away...

If you dive without a flag in Florida, you get a ticket.

Well I must say I never even was aware of what a dive flag was until I got in to diving. Luckily no bad stories to tell of how I hit anyone. But I do think they should make it mandatory that you have a boat operators license in which certain buoys lane of travel and basic safety should be taught.

Most boaters think a diver buoy is a trout line or something. This is one reason EVEN with the flag flying I listen for the sounds of motors and wont surface until the sounds have faded.

Beach dives I typically do without a flag. I agree that many boaters dont know what they are. Jet skiers can sometimes be even more of a problem. People also seem to think that the diver is exactly under the flag at all times?

offthewall1:
What Dive Flag Awareness?

You are correct. That is the purpose of this forum.

A forum to discuss the various US state and international laws about Dive Flags, how to meet them and how to inform boaters to avoid them when on the water.

Well, i have often thought that a dive flag could possibly attract more problems than it would ward off, but i still use one. I clip mine on a plastic clip to my bc when im not holding it. I would make it a point not to fasten it to your self too securely for safety reasons. It should pull off before yanking you to the surface or into a prop.

Are you guys for real? Are you saying that the coast guard, etc don't teach this BEFORE they allow "idiots" to drive boats? I must clarify... I'm not saying all boat operators are idiots, this is refering to those "idiots" that also operate boats.

What needs to be done to rectify this?

Are you guys for real? Are you saying that the coast guard, etc don't teach this BEFORE they allow "idiots" to drive boats? I must clarify... I'm not saying all boat operators are idiots, this is refering to those "idiots" that also operate boats.

What needs to be done to rectify this?

Here in AZ you don't need pass a test or hold any kind of license to operate a boat - I think you have to be over 12 or have a note from your mother. You just need to have the boat registered with Game and Fish and, seeminlgy, copious amounts of cold beer. The best advice I can give is to treat diving in an area with boat traffic like you are diving in an overhead environment. I have a dive buddy who just sets his dive flag on the shore to mark his entery point and doesn't surface until he is in water shallow enough to stand in. (for you boaters out there that means about waist deep) When boat diving I kinda like the double dive bouy and shotgun approach. I'll suggest it to my buddies at the Scubateer's.

AZ dive flag laws have some idiosyncracys when compared to the laws in other states, not the least of which is they are merely suggestions without any kind of fine or penalties.

Steve.

A nice large 25mm flare pistol works wounders. The first one goes in front of the boat, the second one doesn't.

I myself did not know what this flag was until I started looking into scuba. Are you required a flag in texas? I search and found nothing. I just brought one but I do think in texas 95% of boaters in my local lake has no idea what it is. Even jetski folks.

Back
Top Bottom