Dive during Red Tide? and effect on Lobsters??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..in Oct. 9th Ventura County Star re: seafood harvested from the Ventura County coast and Channel Islands - could be contaminated with domoic acid. You can get sick, affected foods inlcude sardines, anchovies and lobsters, it can cause permanent short-term memory loss, cardiac arrhythmias, respiratory problems along with less severe symptoms as nausea, vomitting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.

Shellfish Info Line 800-553-4133

It can be a problem for most marine mammels, as well.

PhotoTJ:
..in Oct. 9th Ventura County Star re: seafood harvested from the Ventura County coast and Channel Islands - could be contaminated with domoic acid. You can get sick, affected foods inlcude sardines, anchovies and lobsters, it can cause permanent short-term memory loss, cardiac arrhythmias, respiratory problems along with less severe symptoms as nausea, vomitting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.

Shellfish Info Line 800-553-4133

It can be a problem for most marine mammels, as well.
This is correct but a little incomplete. I received an email from the head of the CA DHS marine biotoxin department over the weekend and he said the domoic acid seems to be present only in the viscera of the lobster tails. Clean the tails well and don't eat the other parts!

Not only is domoic acid present but a lobster sample taken at Anacapa Island on 10/2 showed 10x the alert level.

Spread the word please!

kelphelper:
This is correct but a little incomplete. I received an email from the head of the CA DHS marine biotoxin department over the weekend and he said the domoic acid seems to be present only in the viscera of the lobster tails. Clean the tails well and don't eat the other parts!

Not only is domoic acid present but a lobster sample taken at Anacapa Island on 10/2 showed 10x the alert level.

Spread the word please!
Debbie and TJ, This is important information. May I suggest that you start a new thread with a clear title to get this info out to our SoCalKelpie group?

A couple of bantering knuckleheads have chimed in so many times on this thread, that all hope of anyone taking it seriously has been obliterated...probably...at least as far as I can remember after eating those delicious locally-caught lobsters last night.
11.gif

rypark: You were prescient in beginning this thread...it took until October 9th for reality to catch up and answer your question. Go buy a lottery ticket and then give me all your lobster for....safekeeping
03.gif

Who needs short-term memory? Did I just say that? What was the question???

Ah well, ignorance was fun while it lasted.
Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
Debbie and TJ, This is important information. May I suggest that you start a new thread with a clear title to get this info out to our SoCalKelpie group?

A couple of bantering knuckleheads have chimed in so many times on this thread, that all hope of anyone taking it seriously has been obliterated...probably...at least as far as I can remember after eating those delicious locally-caught lobsters last night.
11.gif

rypark: You were prescient in beginning this thread...it took until October 9th for reality to catch up and answer your question. Go buy a lottery ticket and then give me all your lobster for....safekeeping
03.gif

Who needs short-term memory? Did I just say that? What was the question???

Ah well, ignorance was fun while it lasted.
Claudette

well, at least, the facts have been revealed :luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello:

red tide vs lobster: clean the viscera in the tail thoroughly and don't eat the green stuff in the body??? (but I thought the green stuff was the brain? it tastes really good)

red tide vs scuba: when diving through it, stinky gear (so wash thoroughly after dive). when breathing it (ie: on the beach), possible nose, throat and/or respiratory irritation for those sensitive to airborn ailments. NO damage/pin holes to gear.

HBDiveGirl:
Claudette, you are so right. I'll take care of it, unless it's been already! :05:

"viscera in the tail" - strike that!! I just looked up viscera = innards/guts (nothing to do with the tail)

The sand vein would be the only viscera present in the tail. May want to butterfly your tails, just to make sure you've gotten it all.

Back
Top Bottom