Dive Dry with Dr. Bill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Greetings to those who enjoy the underwater world.

Although new to this board, I sucked my first air frim a SCUBA tank in 1961 or 1962... the diapers made it difficult, as did my father holding my head under. Did mostly freshwater and pool diving until I moved to Catalina Island in 1969. I have lived here pretty much ever since... thanks to the easy access to good diving.

In my early years on the island I taught marine biology on SCUBA at a boy's prep school. I've been diving ever since. In early 2001 I took a 72-day backpacking and diving trip to SE Asia, Australia-NZ and the South Pacific. It was a wonderful experience and my only regret was not having an U/W video camera to record what I saw.

Remedied that on my return to Catalina and have carried the video camera on almost all of my last 400+ dives. Am putting together an educational video series on kelp forest ecology for a cable TV series entitled "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill." I also write a weekly column in a local Catalina paper by the same name. Will be syndicating both of these for more widespread distribution on the mainland.

My doctorate is in marine ecology. My dissertation focused on the use of satellite remote sensing and GIS (geographic information systems) to study the long-term distribution and persistence of giant kelp around Catalina. However it is nice to dive frequently to deal with my subject first-hand rather than thru computer maps!

Always looking for beautiful dive buddies... especially if they are intelligence and independently wealthy to support my scientific research and dive travel! However, I'll settle for the first two!

Best fishes,

Bill

Bill,
You will be a great addition to the board. There are a lot of good folk here.
Enjoy,
Larry

I'm looking forward to hearing some of your tales of Catalina. I have a friend who photographs the kelp in that area. One day I'll get there to see it for myself!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the board!

I'm not sure I qualify under any of your criterias for a dive buddy: :1eye:

I do go to Catalina often, though. Are you friend with Bob and Tina?

Yes, I know Bob & Tina (and their former partners, Steve & Diana Madaras) as well as John and Taffy Mello of CDS. It's a small community!

drbill once bubbled...
Yes, I know Bob & Tina (and their former partners, Steve & Diana Madaras) as well as John and Taffy Mello of CDS. It's a small community!

I thought so! I look forward to seeing you there!

:wink: Well, Arnaud is probably better looking...and I don't wish to discuss the sad state of affairs of my IRA funds!

I was just out in your neck of the woods (make that kelp forest) over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the conditions.

See you in the water?!

Back
Top Bottom