Dive Dry With Dr. Bill #401: Diver Devoured By Devil Weed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #401: DIVER DEVOURED BY DEVIL WEED

For 10 years I have been warning anyone who would listen about the ecological dangers of the highly invasive Asian seaweed Sargassum horneri that first entered southern California waters in 2003 and arrived on Catalina during the winter of 2005-06. I have been diving SoCal waters for nearly 50 years now and this is the worst alien invasion I have ever seen.

Since the species had no English common name, I coined the tem "devil weed" due to its incredible virulence and its devastating impact on our native giant kelp forest ecosystems. During winters following warm water episodes, this species can assume near complete dominance of rocky reefs and is even observed at depths in excess of 100 feet.

Rather than the biodiverse native algal community normally observed in our kelp forests, Sargassum horneri forms a near monoculture, outcompeting not only our smaller native seaweeds, but even preventing the giant kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) from re-establishing as waters cool in winter.

By preventing giant kelp growth, and severely limiting other native algae, it also affects the herbivores in kelp forest ecosystems. Abalone, top snails, kelp snails, kelp crabs, sea urchins and others have little drift kelp to nourish them and decline in numbers. The rocky reef carnivores that feed on these species have less to survive on and the thick devil weed often makes it difficult for them to find prey.

Unfortunately the California Dept of Fish & Wildlife (CDF&W) did not heed early warnings by scientists including myself and allowed this noxious weed to not only establish here on the protected leeward coast of Catalina, but spread along the more exposed mainland coast to Morro Bay in the north and Guadalupe Island off Baja to the south.

Recently the impact of this devil weed has taken an even more frightening turn. In its native Asian waters, it is strictly herbivorous and is largely controlled by native Asian species of abalone and sea urchins that co-evolved with it over time.

But based on a few recent incidents, I fear the devil weed has evolved along the lines of the carnivorous pitcher plants and Venus' fly traps. Recently I was diving with Simon and Amy in our dive park, friends from Florida that I dove with in Palau last year. On our second dive only Simon and I descended. He swam too close to the top of the Sargassum and it slowly drew him into the dense cover. The last we saw of Simon were the heels of his fins as he was swallowed up by the devil weed. We are still trying to recover his body, but we may have to wait until the thick Sargassum dies out in a month or two.

Divers, please exercise extreme caution when swimming close to this evil alga. The life you save may be your own. Maybe now CDF&W will actually do something about this threat to our region.

© 2016 Dr. Bill Bushing. For the entire archived set of nearly a bazillion "Dive Dry" columns, visit my website http://www.starthrower.org/

Image caption: Last view of Simon as he is engulfed by the devil weed.

Attachments

• DDDB 401 man eating Sargassum.jpg
    DDDB 401 man eating Sargassum.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 85
Very compelling as always, Dr. Bill, but I do note that today is April 1.... Nevertheless, I will watch out for the Devil Weed!

Very compelling as always, Dr. Bill, but I do note that today is April 1....
Don't you trust a real life marine biologist? Shame on you.

It's science!

...and here I thought it was going to be an article about marijuana in California...

When I posted this on my Facebook page, there were several other divers who posted pictures of dive buddies and friends who were also consumed by this noxious weed. Would I lie to ya?

Only if you got a good laugh out of it!

Bob

Thanks for the science lesson! The devil weed was also bad along the east coasts of several caribbean islands last fall, "the worst" several locals had seen on St. Maarten especially on the beaches.

Wish I could have stayed longer to see the beach cleanup and if any bodies turned up in the big piles of devil weed!

Thanks for the science lesson! The devil weed was also bad along the east coasts of several caribbean islands last fall, "the worst" several locals had seen on St. Maarten especially on the beaches.

Wish I could have stayed longer to see the beach cleanup and if any bodies turned up in the big piles of devil weed!

Actually those are two different species of Sargassum (Sargassum natans and S. fluitans) which are native to the region but apparently getting out of hand possibly due to global climate change. Ours is a non-native species (S. horneri) which arrived in southern California from Japan back in 2003

My first dive off the West Coast was in Los Coronados last month and I was shocked (and saddened) by the thick forests of Devil Weed. There were only a few meager strands of kelp fighting a losing battle against the invader.

The invasive S. horneri here is an annual and will be dying out soon (it has already started out here on Catalina). For the giant kelp to have a chance, water temperatures will have to be cooler during the summer months to permit it to grow, develop canopy and overshade next year's crop of S. horneri. If the El Niño is followed by a La Niña, this could happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom