dive destinations for diver/non diver family trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathy miller

Reaction score
I'm planning a family trip for 12: 4 experienced divers (keys, bonaire, caymans, cozumel), 4 newbies (cozumel), and 4 non-divers, (shoppers and lovers of comfort), all ranging in ages between 13 and 76.

Not enough for non- divers on Bonaire (though it is my favorite!), Caymans a bit too costly (any suggestions?), would like to go somewhere besides Cozumel (not crazy about drift diving--how do you see the little critters?)--any thoughts on Belize, Roatan, Barbados? (76 year old grandpa prefers the colonial influence over third world adventurous flavor).

thanks so much!

kathy

Excellent for the non-divers, including the 76 year old that isn't hot for 3rd world adventure.

Cancun has some pretty nice reefs with tons of fish life., as well as the same sort of artificial wreck as Cozumel's Felipe X (sp?). To the south there is some nice Cenote diving.

I think Cancun gets overlooked as a dive destination simply because it is so close to the spectacular coral formations of Cozumel. While the coral formations in Cancun are much lower profile, the reefs were full of fish and I had a nice time diving there, while my wife and her sister enjoyed the town.

Welcome to Scubaboard! Where are you starting from? What is your budget? As most on this segment of the board know I am a big fan of the Turks & Caicos although you might not have a lot of stimulation for the shoppers. How important is that?

I would skip both Belize and Roatan.

Belize diving is best from the cays. There is nothing else to do besides tan and drink.

Roatan is really only suitable for divers. I love it a lot, but I can't recommend it for your needs.

You hit it on the head- Cozumel and Cayman. I've stood on just about every rock in the Caribbean, and those are the only two I can recommend that have even marginal diving plus some non dive activity. There are any number of islands that have lesser qualities of diving experience but have lots to do topside (Jamaica for one), but few that offer the combo pack that you mention with Cayman and Cozumel.

A little something for everyone, not a lot for anybody.

Just my $.02 worth.

Curacao. Although I've never been there, I here it is the best place in the Caribbean for diver/non-diver groups.

ronrosa once bubbled...
Curacao. Although I've never been there, I here it is the best place in the Caribbean for diver/non-diver groups.

That's where my travel agent recommended. I think we're staying at Breezes. This way I (& No.1 son) can dive while wife and No.2 son, can have the "resort experience"

I've did some research before making the reservation and it seems like a lot of good dive locations. It was also a lot less $$$ than Turks.

Thanks for all the advise! I saw a very inexpensive ($400) 7 day cruise that visists Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Caymens which may be an option as well, though we aren't cruise people...but, it is a little bit for everyone. we are leaning toward Curacauo--I have read where there is a lot of trash in the water. Anyone experience that? That would be very disappointing> thnks again for all your input!

Who is the cruise with? We did Norwegian on the same itinerary.

Back
Top Bottom