Dive depth logger with arduino

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you guys think about this ui?

Attachments

• diveduino ui.jpg
    diveduino ui.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 696
So it is now smaller and ready to dive.

i just added the Real Time clock and the Openlog hardware to log the dives with time,temp, and depth... you will be able to import it to excell and do your graphics...

I am curious about the sampling rate, how much will it be good ? 1, 2 or 3 seconds?

visit the webpage for more pictures!!!

P8280415.jpgP8280417.jpgP8280422.jpgP8280424.jpg

5 seconds is probably enough; you don't want to fill the memory with 99% extraneous (superfluous) data.

I'd write the C code to remember the "last value of X" for each data point, and only write to the log when something has changed. So if during 55 seconds temperature and depth were constant, nothing would be added to the log for that period of time.

5 seconds is probably enough; you don't want to fill the memory with 99% extraneous (superfluous) data.

I'd write the C code to remember the "last value of X" for each data point, and only write to the log when something has changed. So if during 55 seconds temperature and depth were constant, nothing would be added to the log for that period of time.
Nice Tip :) i will work on that

thanks

Cool stuff,

i had thought about the possibility of an arduino based dive tool too when i got my OW done.

i will keep an eye on this post! great work.

Raptor

so i did a test for the battery life yesterday.... every 3 seconds i was sampling and writing to the the MicroSd card... i powered the system with two AAA batteries. the test was done from 11 pm yesterday to 6 pm today... around 19 to 20 hrs

Results

-so the logging device openlog seems to be quite sensitive to voltage drop at 5 pm that i arrive today the OLED screen, sensor and the microcontroller were working..openlog stopped recording on the microSd card about 3:30 am...
but guess what it was able to record 4500 rows on excell.. so thats quite a lot.

-no issues with the microcontroller, oled and sensor.

so i guess that by using the approach of Mark derail in just recording the changes will be good...

also the openlog wiki tells me that the system cosumes 6 ma in a writing cycle of 512 bytes... so i was thinking if i only record data changes and i save that information on the RAM of the microcontroller and then if it reaches x amount, then i will data flush to the SDcard, that will save some writing cycles and improve the battery life...

so i will keep you updated on the issues i am having.. and more battery test.

---------- Post Merged on August 31st, 2012 at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was on August 30th, 2012 at 10:38 PM ----------

[video=youtube_share;YKzSPx77WTg]http://youtu.be/YKzSPx77WTg[/video]

so here is one more video of the updated diveduino

Very interesting project. I was also thinking of making something similar. But you are already quite ahead with that awesome display. If you decide to go the kickstarter way, I wish you great success. I'd still like to make my own, just for fun. Would you say a graphical display is really necessary or is it just nice to have? I was thinking of starting with a simple led on the board.

Cheers,

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom