Dive Courses in CO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a friend that was just out here in the PNW for a medical conference. We had a bit of time so I took him for a couple of shallow dives in Puget Sound. He called me last night jabbering about how great diving is and how much he wants to start diving.

He lives in Norwood which is not too far from Telluride.

Is there any place that offers a good OW course not too far from his home? My preference is for a NAUI shop, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks.

He’s 200 miles or more from the (mostly PADI, some SSI) dozen shops in Denver, the two in Colorado Springs, the two in Boulder, the one in Steamboat, the one in Vail and the several in Albuquerque. He might even prefer Provo or Salt Lake because he could get a chance to do his certifying dives in a hot spring.

I just don’t know of any closer. Sorry. Perhaps an independent instructor would work, but I don’t know of any.

Found a couple that would be closer, if they still exist.

Durango

Grand Junction

He is kinda in the middle of anything that MAY have a DS. Nothing in Telluride, or Durango, they just don't see Diving as a mainstay :11:

I would suggest that he book a weekend class in Denver, or one of the other big cities, and make a weekend of it to get his classroom and pool done. Then he will have to either book the Blue Hole or Crater for OW most likely -or- he can choose to do it somewhere nice.

For PADI, I really like A1 scuba in Denver. Very professional, have a LOT of good instructors, and most have more experience than just PADI even if they are a five star PADI shop. They offer what is called a GOLD weekend, where they do ALL the pool, classroom, testing, and even referral in one shot over a Sat-Sun.

Of course the individual has to have all the coursework done in advance along with the section reviews completed.

Looking at the Telluride location, he is kinda inbetween a lot of places. Other options would include ooootahh, and NM. Heck, maybe suggest he jump a plane for FL after doing all his OW coursework, and then do the OW dives there....

There is ONE DS in Denver that I'm aware of that does NAUI, the Colorado Scuba Center. They have a pool onsite, and the owner seems very nice, but I can not comment on them other than that.

Good Luck,

Ron

RonFrank:
For PADI, I really like A1 scuba in Denver. Very professional,

I second your positive words about A-1 near Denver, and of course I'm partial to the PADI LDS I'm associated with in Colorado Springs.

Scuba Joe in Boulder also offers weekend classes that you through the CW's. They have two options:
  1. Friday night class, Saturday morning CW, Saturday afternoon class; Sunday morning CW.
  2. Saturday class and CW and Sunday class and CW.
The open waters can be done via a referral, joining them on a trip (like the one to Key Largo at the end of March), or waiting for reasonable temperatures in a local lake in the summer.

Grand Jct shop still exists. I think instructor offers courses in Montrose and at Western State College in Gunnison. There are SSI instructors in Crested Butte as well.

Thanks everyone. The Grand Junction - Montrose course would work well. Do you know anything about the instruction?

OE2X:
Thanks everyone. The Grand Junction - Montrose course would work well. Do you know anything about the instruction?

we use adventure sports in junction, my wife just finished her dive con and will be starting her instructor course next month..... pool is in Delta, classes are usually friday and sat.....

Here in Wyo we have shops that grequently go to other towns and teach courses at schools, community recs, He may be able to find the same thing in Colorado.

Back
Top Bottom