Dive computers... SO many choices!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how many times have I seen the DM or first mate brought into the "how do I sync" this question just before splashing in? Obviously the units are not set and forget....

I suspect that's more of a combo of two things:

- People who just got a new computer and are trying to use the AI for the first time.

- People who aren't using it correctly - e.g. they didn't turn their tank valve on yet, so the transmitter isn't turned on.

I have never had to re-pair my Atom and transmitter - even after changing the battery in my Atom twice.

how many times have I seen the DM or first mate brought into the "how do I sync" this question just before splashing in? Obviously the units are not set and forget....

Not more than the times I have seen people unable to figure out how to set their Nitrox % or not know how get into their computer's logbook. This doesn't mean that the Nitrox or logbook features in the dive computers is unreliable or difficult.

The other thing about this endless WAI reliability debate is that almost no one has real data to present.

If 1000 divers are using a system with a 20% failure rate (per unit, not per dive), you will have 800 people here swearing that their WAI system is great and they have no issues with it at all.

That's the fun thing about statistics, isn't it. How about 800 people with perfectly working WAI systems and one diver who broke 200 units?

To the OP-

I am also looking for a new dive computer for the wife because she says the DG03 is too big for her wrists. (She has tiny wrists) so now I am looking at the Mares Pro Puck in wrist form. Looks like a solid nitrox computer at a great price. Does anyone here have time on one?

This is true; however, I'm trying to make her aware that the basis of a computer is the algorithm, not the packaging. I do believe that the discussion of RGBM versus not RGBM could be relevant to recreational diving in certain circumstances. Obviously, RGBM starts to break more once you get well over the NDL's but the bias it shows to over-load slow tissues during ascent could, at least in theory, become an issue for multi-day multi-dive vacations as well.

I don't think there's an issue for recreational multi-dive/multi-day diving. According to "Deco for Divers" there is a conservatism factor that gets applied for multiple dives per day and multiple days (in a row) of diving. These factors cannot be adjusted by the diver. This conservatism should balance out any additional slow tissue loading over time. The difference for the recreational diver staying within NDL limits in regards to safety, for all practical purposes, is nil.

You're probably right, since we don't hear about divers using RGBM computers getting bent in large numbers on vacation.

Nevertheless, the fact that they seem to have to fudge the algorithm the more you dive would appear to support the basic conclusion that the base-line algorithm isn't correctly calibrated.

R..

You're probably right, since we don't hear about divers using RGBM computers getting bent in large numbers on vacation.

Nevertheless, the fact that they seem to have to fudge the algorithm the more you dive would appear to support the basic conclusion that the base-line algorithm isn't correctly calibrated.

R..

No divers, diving any commercially available decompression algorithm, get bent at any appreciable frequency. Compliance with the algorithm is the key

I bought a Zoop. My thinking was it was the cheapest computer ($180 on Amazon) that didn't use a single button, cause I knew a single button would annoy the crap out of me (personal preference). It's not fancy, no gas switches but you can do nitrox. If you buy the $60 cable you can upload your dive logs to a computer.

I've only used it for my OW checkout dives to around 20 feet so far, so I'm just giving my reasoning for buying it. I'll test it again in a quarry in October when I go on my first "dive trip" (probably to 60 feet, possibly more as I'm planning to do some of the advanced class dives on the trip and we may do a deep dive as part of that).

I do already know I'm going to buy the bungee mount from DSS, cause I already had it rotate on me underwater, but I imagine any computer will tend to do that with neoprene compression and no elastic straps.

Two my dive buddies who are advanced divers and dive locally and do the caverns, ocean divees use the old old zoops and they seem to like it, it's simple and does the job. But since it's discontinued I had wondered that if it gets messed up or anything, would I be able to still get it serviced. I do have a small wrist...

I was in the same boat, looking at a number of computers and trying to figure out which was best for my needs. I vascilated between the D4i, Oceanic Geo, Zoop, etc. I finally decided that I would just go with a Zoop which was inexpensive and could be used as a backup once I decided on what I really wanted/needed... what I actually ended up getting was a last years model Suunto Vyper Air that was on sale and only a little more than this years Zoop I was looking at.

I was looking at all of these too. I also looked at the cressi giotto (the 3 button one).
I do like the Oceanic geo 3.0 because you. Can set it to be conservative or liberal and is able to match your buddies dive profile, if they are using a different brand and algorithm

Back
Top Bottom