Dive Computer (Watch Style) For My Daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archiebald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,
My 13 y/o daughter and I just completed our AOW certificates. She is getting really keen, looking to do enriched air and looking towards Rescue Diver. To keep her going I am planning to buy her a dive computer as this year's christmas present. (we rented up to now)

Must haves are as follows;
  • Small enough that it can be worn as a watch (on a girl's wrist) - not every day, but to and from diving vacations etc.
  • Does NOT need a compass function.
  • Nitrox.
  • Downloadable data to a PC.
  • The more "girly" styling, the better.

....and maybe
  • Wireless as an option (but not required now)

There are so many to choose from, but the dial size is not easy to judge from internet images.

The specs and the color / style of the Suunto D4i would certainly be well appreciated, especially the "hot pink" color.

Budget is in the order of USD600 plus/minus

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

I am also looking for one for myself but I don't expect to have as many needs as she will in the future so somethng mor simple and cheap will suffice.

Suunto D4i in Pink ticks all your boxes. Lucky girl.

PS I note you're in Japan, dont buy one here as it'll cost you a kidney a lung and any other offspring you may have, try scubastore.com they will ship to Japan.

I am an Oceanic fan so I have to say Geo 2.0 but the pink Suunto may be the ticket! :wink:

Suunto D4i in Pink ticks all your boxes. Lucky girl.

PS I note you're in Japan, dont buy one here as it'll cost you a kidney a lung and any other offspring you may have, try scubastore.com they will ship to Japan.

Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately they don't list any Suunto computers.

For reference they have the Tusa Zen (IQ-900) at JPY25,779 including shipping. In Japan the best price I can buy that for is JPY29,900 plus about JPY1,000 delivery.

So far in Japan the best price I have seen for the Suunto D4i is JPY45,000 (approx US$562). I have seen a few prices cheaper overseas (UK GBP289 inc free data cable) but overseas shipping seems to be restricted.

---------- Post Merged at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:58 AM ----------

A question for anyone having the D4i. In the manual they quote 50mm diameter. Is this the outside diameter of the case, or the display diameter?

the problem with a D4 is that the bands are made from really flimsy materials and like to fall off at inconvenient times, better to buy a D6, at least then you can use an adapter.
If you don't need air integration, i would look at the Uwatec Meridian, it has two main advantages, the Magnetic buttons have no O ring to replace, and you can replace the strap with a HD Zulu strap.

Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately they don't list any Suunto computers.

For reference they have the Tusa Zen (IQ-900) at JPY25,779 including shipping. In Japan the best price I can buy that for is JPY29,900 plus about JPY1,000 delivery.

So far in Japan the best price I have seen for the Suunto D4i is JPY45,000 (approx US$562). I have seen a few prices cheaper overseas (UK GBP289 inc free data cable) but overseas shipping seems to be restricted.

---------- Post Merged at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:58 AM ----------

A question for anyone having the D4i. In the manual they quote 50mm diameter. Is this the outside diameter of the case, or the display diameter?

Much to my horror I discovered as of last Wednesday they shut the gates on Japan too. If you know anyone in the EU you could always have one shipped there and then onto you. As another poster has noted the straps are notoriously bad and unfortunately are proprietary so you have no other options.

That quoted diameter will be for case, i.e. total.

---------- Post Merged at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:45 AM ----------

the problem with a D4 is that the bands are made from really flimsy materials and like to fall off at inconvenient times, better to buy a D6, at least then you can use an adapter.
If you don't need air integration, i would look at the Uwatec Meridian, it has two main advantages, the Magnetic buttons have no O ring to replace, and you can replace the strap with a HD Zulu strap.

Yes, not a bad idea.

To the OP, If you went with a Meridian you could always replace the strap with a "girly" coloured Zulu strap. Here in Japan they run about 69,000 yen from memory. Of course Im sure you could find cheaper off shore if you can find someone willing to ship here, Scubapro are not happy about buying online out of region. I had a chance to play with one last week, looks nice and solid, a little small for my aging eyes.

Okay, I just realised that the scubastore available product line changes dynamically as you change the country of shipping.

I have a relative in the UK so I may look at that route.

Regarding the strap issue, is it the same on the D4 as the D4i?

Okay, I just realised that the scubastore available product line changes dynamically as you change the country of shipping.

I have a relative in the UK so I may look at that route.

Regarding the strap issue, is it the same on the D4 as the D4i?

Yes, same strap same issue.

I am taking the strap issue into consideration but due to relatively low usage I have opted for the D4i for my daughter.

For me it is the Oceanic Geo 2

Thanks for the help.

I am taking the strap issue into consideration but due to relatively low usage I have opted for the D4i for my daughter.

For me it is the Oceanic Geo 2

Thanks for the help.

Oceanic is the better choice!

Back
Top Bottom