Dive Computer Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air Integrated.

It's a computer that is connected to the tank and tells you its pressure. Some computers can also use this information to estimate remaining bottom time based on actual air consumption, in addition to NDL info. It's a pretty slick feature, and why I own AI computers (Cobra and Vytec).

The connection to the tank can be via a standard HP hose, or via a wireless transmitter that connects to the reg HP port. This allows you to wear the computer on the wrist, or wherever, without having to deal with a hose.

I'm sure a lot of new divers appreciate your explanation. Sometimes I think people posting on this board must be using cell phones without real keyboards. Way to many abbreviations and assumptions.

As someone else mentioned, thank God for the bigger displays used on many computers today. Us old folks just have problems with many of those tiny little watch type computers but I'll admit I'd have one if I could see it.

Remember that air integrated computers still display the normal tank pressure too so if you'd rather "think out" how much time you have left, feel free to do so. No one says you have to use the time remaining function but I personally find it extremely helpful. It adjust to new depths almost instantly. Just as someone else said, after diving a lot you eventually get a feel for your air consumption but I still like knowing what the computer's opinion might be. It takes into consideration how I'm breathing on a particular dive and I think it's more accurate than my own observations. It's a really useful tool in teaching new divers since you can quickly demonstrate how relaxation and depth greatly effect dive time and gas usage. You can explain that to a student forever but seeing it in action in real time has no equal.

I could agree more with the diver that suggested the computer is more accurate than a human. We are effected by everything from cold, visibility, depth and how much beer we drank the night before. Computers just don't have those problems.

A lot has been said about outgrowing the computer. Some make it sound like every diver is going to become a tech diver and dive multiple gases. The VAST majority of divers never reach that level. You should also remember that the computer won't last forever. Eventually you'll need or want another one and if the old one still works you'll have a nice backup.

As many have recommended, Nitrox capability should be standard and I personally like air integration a lot. Readability, ease of use and the ability to change your own battery are the features I also feel are important.

Thanks to everyone for a bunch of highly informative responses! I think I have a great foundation and set of recommendations to make a dive computer purchase.

Hello!

I only want say that I have a Cressi Archimedes and I can say that it's and economic Dive Computer that works very well and it's easy to use.

I recommend you.

I could agree more with the diver that suggested the computer is more accurate than a human. We are effected by everything from cold, visibility, depth and how much beer we drank the night before. Computers just don't have those problems.

But the computer can't anticipate. You may be at 80' now and running out of Remaining Dive Time for either air pressure, NDL or oxygen accumulation (Nitrox). But YOU know that you are headed for 30' to cruise the reef. RDT based on air pressure may be meaningless. YOU know your rate of consumption will soon decrease dramatically. The computer can't anticipate that. So, the display based on air pressure isn't useful. It isn't your Remaining Dive Time or anywhere close to it. In that regard, the RDT based on NDL isn't accurate either (on ANY computer). About the only thing that is accurate is oxygen accumulation.

It is really a matter of cost/benefit. Is the air integration worth the hundreds of dollars it costs? To some it is. To me, no.

Richard

I wish I had done more research before I jumped in. ALl said it appears I did alright buying the Cobra 2 on advice of my LDS. I have no complaints other than there are more features than I know about. I could have used some more training before I started to use it. As with most technology, the user's manual is inadequate for a first time computer user.

That said, PADI has recently developed a specialty class for dive computers. Putting aside the argument/gripe that this is yet another way for PADI to earn a fee, this class seems like an essential for any new diver. I don't know that I would go so far as to make it a credit toward certs... It's a couple of dollars and a couple of hours of your life in a classroom. I'll give a follow-up on the course...I have the class this Thursday night.

Edward

So, the display based on air pressure isn't useful. It isn't your Remaining Dive Time or anywhere close to it.
That's just not true. It is useful. The estimate is for the present depth, based on actual air consumption. This can help you decide when to go up for that 30' reef (and we're assuming NDL is not the limiting factor here). If, for example, your AI computer is telling you that at your current depth, your NDL is 20 minutes, and your air time remaining is 5 minutes, you might want to head for that 30' reef NOW. If all you have is the NDL, then you look at the air remaining in bars (or psi if you refer) and make your best guess for how much longer you can stay at your present depth - based off your "intuition and experience". Your choice. But the computer's estimate is hardly useless - no more so than the NDL it gives - which is also based on a model. At least the air consumption rate is based on YOUR breathing on THAT dive. That's more than we can say for the NDL model.

I wish I had done more research before I jumped in. ALl said it appears I did alright buying the Cobra 2 on advice of my LDS. I have no complaints other than there are more features than I know about. I could have used some more training before I started to use it. As with most technology, the user's manual is inadequate for a first time computer user.

That said, PADI has recently developed a specialty class for dive computers. Putting aside the argument/gripe that this is yet another way for PADI to earn a fee, this class seems like an essential for any new diver. I don't know that I would go so far as to make it a credit toward certs... It's a couple of dollars and a couple of hours of your life in a classroom. I'll give a follow-up on the course...I have the class this Thursday night.
Yeah....I dunno about that. I bought the Cobra prior to my OW session, after consultation with the dive shop. They probably would have given me some pointers on how to use it if I wanted them to - but a glance through the user manual was all I needed - and I had never used a dive computer (or had even gone diving) before. I will grant you that the menu structure seems to have an odd interface, esp. the log book, but I don't think you did too badly. The thing about the class is that they can hardly give a class for every make and model under the sun. If I were inclined to buy it from a local dive shop, they should know how to use it and be willing to show you at no extra charge. Otherwise, you might as well buy on line and save a lot of money.

I hope you like your Cobra :)

Curiously, before I owned a computer I took the PADI "multi level" cert, most of which was dedicated to tell us how much we (the diving world) didn't know about nitrogen absorbtion and off gasing, and different algorythms (Haldanian vs RGB and others) used to calculate tables.

I found it a pretty fascinating class (OK, I'm a geek). If PADI manages to salvage some of that teaching by cramming it into a dive computer speciality, then that is probably a good thing (I bet nobody takes multi level any more these days).

2 Cents

I avoid AI Computers due to common failures. I think a pressure gauge with a good wrist computer is the way to go. I also like good old fashion console computers... but with my compass elsewhere such as on my wrist or on a slate.

Our #1 selling computer is the Dive Rite Nitek Duo... which is a two gas computer available in either Wrist or Console w/ SPG. There are many other good models out there as well. Due to your desire to grow in the sport... I say get at least a two gas computer... The Cressi Archimedes is another nice computer... neither the DR or Cressi will break the bank like some of the others which cost twice as much but deliver nothing more.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom