Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Aeris was much easier to read and more user friendly. I had the Cressi as a backup in case my Aeris failed. I never liked the user interface of the Cressi and that trip was the first time I used it. Hindsight is 20/20. Either way, I don’t see the point of having radically different algorithms. For me, it is Buhlmann ZH-L16c with GF or forget it. I realize that limits me. Back then it would have been more of a limitation
I think a question is “what is the point of a backup computer?”

The answer depends on circumstances.

For a no stop dive there is usually little point. Maybe you can save the dive if your primary dies. If you are in the Galapagos then that is a big deal. Local shore dive, maybe not so important.

For proper deco dives you do want one, you want to be able to complete the dive without completely relying on a buddy, especially if gas choices etc are such that your computer plans might vary. In this case perhaps you care about the algorithm, but you’d plan for the conservative computer normally as you’d not plan to bend it so does it matter if they are the same?

TBH it sounds like you are proclaiming that ZHL16C/GF is the one true way.

Myself, I think that the algorithm is the least important feature. Having a difficult UI is a big deal. I discovered a couple of club members had their computers set in gauge mode a couple of years ago. I only realised when trying to show them how to plan the dive using the built in planner. All the other stuff like a nice screen or easy Bluetooth is more important to me than whether I know 80% of what they do for their calcs or whether I only know half of it.

I think a question is “what is the point of a backup computer?”

The answer depends on circumstances.

For a no stop dive there is usually little point. Maybe you can save the dive if your primary dies. If you are in the Galapagos then that is a big deal. Local shore dive, maybe not so important.

For proper deco dives you do want one, you want to be able to complete the dive without completely relying on a buddy, especially if gas choices etc are such that your computer plans might vary. In this case perhaps you care about the algorithm, but you’d plan for the conservative computer normally as you’d not plan to bend it so does it matter if they are the same?

TBH it sounds like you are proclaiming that ZHL16C/GF is the one true way.

Myself, I think that the algorithm is the least important feature. Having a difficult UI is a big deal. I discovered a couple of club members had their computers set in gauge mode a couple of years ago. I only realised when trying to show them how to plan the dive using the built in planner. All the other stuff like a nice screen or easy Bluetooth is more important to me than whether I know 80% of what they do for their calcs or whether I only know half of it.

This was looooooooong before any technical training. While Oahu isn't the Galapagos, it was still far enough from home to matter. All my dives were from a boat with one exception. Now I dive with two Perdixes, and if it is a tech dive, I have multiple deco plans on my slates. Buhlmann ZH-L16c is a whole lot better than any RGBM flavor. I'll agree on a usable UI. Shearwater is just brain dead simple to me. I don't care about Bluetooth so much.

Then you have to have the “when the big number in the middle starts going up...” conversation before you get in the water. Or just do your dive, assume they are a possible source of gas and go up when it suits you. If they are that incompetent then they will not notice the deco and bend their computer and save you suffering on the next dive.

I did a whole series of dives last year with me using a Perdix and buddies on Suuntos and the like. We didn’t actually have this problem because really all the computers come out about the same. Sometimes I would take a Zoop as a backup if I could find it in the morning, however the dives were very benign and even if the battery died on my Perdix I could just follow my buddy’s computer and be certain of being ok.

Yes it's rare but there is always that one or two divers per year that just decide they don't like being told what to do on dives and do not respond when you ask them about air or time to NDL on their computers. I had one Chinese diver complaining after a dive he did not understand why his DC had problems and the alarms would go off and refused to acknowledge he was the issue not the DC lol.

I love my perdix. I was amazed at how great the compass was. The 1st time I used it I was thinking "the future is now!!".. I couldn't imagine trying to go back to an analog compass. Turns out I'm not so bad at navigation, I just didn't have the right tools.

Having AI is great for looking at my SAC (that's what she said!!:)) post dive, but I don't use it during a dive like I thought I would.

I love my perdix. I was amazed at how great the compass was. The 1st time I used it I was thinking "the future is now!!".. I couldn't imagine trying to go back to an analog compass. Turns out I'm not so bad at navigation, I just didn't have the right tools. Having AI is great for looking at my SAC (that's what she said!!:)) post dive, but I don't use it during a dive like I thought I would.

Yeah a compass that works no matter your arm or wrist position. Plus you can see it on night dives :) Love the Perdix on night dives due the great display. Got tired of my other DC's trying to push a button to get the backlight on night dives.

Sure there is, it's called a 5 gallon Jug! I use to travel with one in my Trunk:p
A spare is supposed to be something you use in an emergency, not something that you carry as a backup for equipment that you know has issues.
1. It is illegal to carry such large amount of fuel in many countries. Jug is definitely NOT a legal container.
2. There is no issue with my Uwatec, only you thought I have.
3. You do carry a spare tyre in your car? Back up, redundancy or spare.

Teric! Piece of over-priced cxxp.

Teric! Piece of over-priced cxxp.

You do realize that people have been burned at the stake for less, right? :wink::eek:o_O

Buhlmann ZH-L16c is a whole lot better than any RGBM flavor.

I started with SUUNTO D4 and now use it as a backup DC. I had to set it to RGBM 50% to make it closer to Buhlmann ZH-L16c GF’s 40/85 set on my Teric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom