Dive Computer Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Guys:

I have need of a wrist mounted puck style dive computer. Between the following choices, which would you recommend and why? It will be used strictly for recreational diving in shallow to moderate depth (above 60 feet).

Subgear XP10
Suunto Vyper
Suunto Zoop

Yes, I know. There are far better alternatives. Hell, I own one of the far better alternatives but I have need of one these guys in specific circumstances.

Thanks for your help.

O.

Are you totally sold on one of ONLY these three computers?
Is it a configuration "Fit" issue?

Chug
Not a Suunto fan.

neither? What computer do you have and why are you needing this for curiousity?

Suunto has some wonky algorithms and penalizes you for some weird stuff.

If you just need a cheap wrist computer, the Hollis DG03 from Dive Gear Express is only $250. UI is kind of crap, but it's a nice computer

May be worth looking at Oceanic Geo 2.0 or Sherwood Amphos, bit nicer since they are watch style

Suunto has some wonky algorithms and penalizes you for some weird stuff.

I can never figure this one out, though it's thrown out there all the time as gospel. I dive a Suunto Vytec DS and my buddy dives an Oceanic... which is lauded for being liberal as often as the Suunto is for being conservative. We've done hundreds of dives together and the Vytec has never once been a dive-limiting factor or otherwise been a meaningful impediment to our ability to exit the water together. In fact in Bonaire a few weeks we did a 200ft planned decompression dive to the Windjammer. My Suunto gave me 1 minute more stop time than his Oceanic gave him for the same dive. In actuality I went to 201ft, he only hit 195ft, but I think our dives were fairly identical otherwise.

I don't know that I would consider an extra minute of stop time for a 79min, three-gas dive to 201ft to be "wonky" or "overly conservative."

I have however found that the Suunto will penalize "bad behavior" more so than other computers... it seems to dislike things such as reverse prpfiles, saw-tooth profiles, rapid mid-dive ascent rates (especially deeper ascents) and similar. On NDL dives for an egregious offense his penalty takes the form of being given a 4min safety stop instead of a 3min stop.

My experience down here in SoFla with the Suunto's I have seen in use, and have been next to, is that they DO NOT like repetitive dives.
Every once in a while someone will be using one.
Usually a rental, and it may be dialed back to an ultra conservative setting for all I know.
They will be diving with me, and these Suunto's will have the other diver in Deco with a 10 or 20 minute obligation while I and my other buddies in the group are WELL within the safe zone on the second dive.
Our typical dive here off of North Broward is to roll out in 70'-80' for 20 to 30 minutes, and then slowly work in to 45'-55'.
We find these Suunto computers to be screaming about half way through the second dive of the day.
Our surface intervals are typically 45-60 minutes on 36%-40%.
We all seem to be using Hollis, Oceanic, and Sherwood computers, with the occasional Scubapro thrown on.

Chug
Using a DG03 currently

Hi Guys:

I just need one of these two brands when I operate in a professional dive capacity during OW classes. On my own time, my Petrel will always get the call.

In terms of user friendliness and serviceability, which would you prefer. Regarding liberal/conservative algorithms, I don't believe it will be an issue as my exposure (depth/time) will be very limited. Also, I'll be wearing dry gloves. Which would you say is easier to operate underwater with limited dexterity?

Thanks,
O.

If you're in OW class mode, there's nothing to operate during the dive. Any of those are fine

Why not use the petrel; shop doesn't sell them? Get the cheapest bottom timer they have and use an SPG.

pretty happy with my Cressi Giotto, but honestly the Leanardo is just as good and would save you a few coin

My experience down here in SoFla with the Suunto's I have seen in use, and have been next to, is that they DO NOT like repetitive dives.

All I can tell you is I do five 60min dives a day, every day on every live-aboard trip - with a buddy diving an Oceanic - with no issues at all. On our first Bonaire trip we did 6 a day with rarely more than 60min SI... never an issue. I have it set for standard conservativism.

i can't imagine any possible scenario where everyone else is within NDL and the Suunto guy is getting tagged with 20min of deco... on a 70-80ft dive. In running plans right now the max deco time I can force is 17min and that requires repetitive dives of 40min at 80ft and ZERO minute SI. And I hope you guys are diving doubles... because those dives need 107cf of gas.

i can't imagine any possible scenario where everyone else is within NDL and the Suunto guy is getting tagged with 20min of deco...

I've been there more than once. Now the Suunto is in gauge mode. Really if your computer gives you 20 minutes less NDL than the people you are diving with and they get out of the water just fine routinely the model validation is suspect. RGBM seems not to like a lot of dives that the experience suggest are just fine. How RGBM deals with repetitive dives is one of the issues. Another issue is how they deal with cold water. Apparently Suunto has not heard of dry suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom