Dive computer - pull out battery between dive outings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on the computer, some manufacturers say specifically not to lube the o'rings, most of them, and some may say to lube the o'ring.
That’s probably a very small list. Years ago, I got a spreadsheet from here with o-ring sizes, batteries, etc. for various dive computer. It had a column for lube. I scrolled through the list and only found one where No was selected. That was an Uwatec Aladdin Pro, so I would assume it’s an oil-filled computer.

For the rest, if you use the appropriate lube sparingly, there shouldn’t be a downside. Slathering it on can lead to problems, but a thin layer can help for the reasons stated in the SW manual.

This is probably not good advice. In most cases, the o-ring needs to be slippery to seat properly; a dry o-ring can tear. This is especially important on those battery compartments than have screw-in component with an o-ring that goes round and round....sliding in the groove.
For example, the Suunto ZOOP manual says, in the section on changing the battery:
Never had any issue for not using grease so I will stick with my practice.

Never had any issue for not using grease so I will stick with my practice.
OK. I'll stick with what the user manual say to do....and I just checked 10 of them from 10 different manufacturers.

IN GENERAL: Since it’s not a dynamic o-ring (slides or moves during operation) the grease “may” not be essential, but recommended nonetheless. The o-ring will have the friction of the rear plate rubbing against it every time you disassemble and reassemble the unit. If you plan on removing the battery on a regular basis it would be a good idea to grease the o-ring.

BEST OPTION: Read the service manual for your dive computer regarding o-ring lubrication. Many manufacturers say to replace the o-ring during every battery change. Nonsense. Inspect the part and replace if necessary.

FYI - I also dive the i300 and I seem to get 1-2 years out of the battery diving about 50 times per year. Here is what the manual says about the little low battery icon that will appear near the upper left of the screen when you have a low battery:

LOW BATTERY DURING A DIVE
Warning Level
• The i300 functions continue but the backlight is disabled.
• The battery icon appears solid upon entry into Surface Mode.
Alarm Level
• The i300 functions continue but the backlight is disabled.
• The Battery icon appears flashing. 5 seconds after entering Surface Mode the i300 will shut down.

You guys are talking equipment solution to a problem with error in practice...
The obvious answer would be that the OP needs to dive more often!

Scubapro Aladin computer manuals (Sport Matrix, H Matrix, 2G, One) specifically state that lubricant should not be used. They also assume the use of teflon coated o-rings.

"O-ring is Teflon-coated and does not require additional lubrication."
"Do not lubricate the O-ring as the lubricant will chemically attack the battery cap."

For long term storage, I could see pulling the battery. To save the battery? I wouldn’t bother. I used to keep a spare battery in my saves dive kit. When I used it for a regular annual replacement, it died within a couple of days.

I just bought a Peregrine and one of the nicest feature was the induction charging. Having to replace a computer because the battery seal failed the absolute worst. The less you screw around with the battery, the better.

Shearwater advises to remove the battery from the Perdix, Predator, Petrel regardless of whether it's an alkaline, saft, lion, etc. for long-term storage.
Found that out the hard way. Luckily the serviced it under warranty because it didn't look like the battery leaked in the compartment. But it was clear when they opened it up.
I don't keep batteries in any computer now, or light for that matter, if it's not going to be used within a few weeks or so. I keep the battery in a ziploc bag with the computer when I know I'll be using it regularly. Even my three Oceanic Veos that I have for students, I take the battery out when I don't have classes coming up.

I'd remove the battery from any electronic device that was going to be disused for months or more. I wouldn't freak out if I'd forgotten to remove it, but I'd prefer to take it out. Unless the device has a mechanical switch (zero dive computers do) then it will be drawing a small current continuously when off. It's a very small current - hopefully in the microamps range, but it's not zero.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom