Dive Computer or Tables and console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Now here is a case where I would have pulled one of the snorkles I have nailed to the garage wall and used that for the job instead of bother to gear up with a scuba rig. :D

Jeez, Pug,

I laughed so hard at that one, I snorted my coffee all over my keyboard!

ROFLMAO

BigJetDriver69:
Blind dependence on computers, on the other hand, while putting your brain in "PARK" will, in fact, cause brain rot!
Blind dependence on computers is probably the case more often than not.... in fact I suspect it is even the case with those who claim they do otherwise.

It would be interesting to know the absolute truth concerning the percentage of diver computer users who are really just *riding the machine without thinking* and those who *use the computer only as a tool in the hands of a master craftsman*.

The fact that a dive computer's most prominently display output is the *NDL* time left leads me to believe that the percentage of divers who simply ride them is very large indeed.

Tovarisch Pug,

I hope you will run some more of your dive stories. One of the funniest for me was your "Flying on the Anchor" story. Gawd, did I roll in the aisle over that one.

As for the "NDL" thing, I don't really know how that one would break down. My computers read "Next Ceiling" and "Time on Stage" and "PPO2" rather than "NDL".

Cheers, lad!

In this thread, as it happens to be in the New2Scuba forum, I don't think it would be prudent for me to go further than I already have in attempting to explain that a dive computer is not only unnecessary but that a better approach is to begin and continue as a thinking diver.
seems that the New2Scuba forum would be the best place for you to put out such info but I digress. Off to search the archives (have no earthly idea what to even type in the search block) and see if I can locate this gem of info.

Uncle Pug:
TX101 and Andy (and everyone else)

Ya'll think it boils down to dive comptuer vs tables.

It doesn't... there is another way. A method that takes into account much more than tables. A method that adjusts the dive to fit the conditions including the pre-conditions.

But to use this method one must have a Thinking Brain and of course computers rot your brain. Many times here on Scuba Board I have seen folks say, in essence: *I let the computer do the thinking for me.*

Deco on-the-fly is still susceptable to human error. Also, it hasn't been tested.

Okay, GI3 et. al. may have made hundreds if not thousands of dives using this method and it obviously works for them. However millions of dives are conducted every year on the USN tables, which are what most computers are based on. In short, because I'm not (yet) doing 200+ ft dives and 3+ hour runtimes, Ill trust a computer before I trust deco on the fly.

Also, the depths I am planning on doing in the red sea (most likely 18m max, since my wife is only OW) I am happy to fully trust the computer on my wrist or my computer on my wifes wrist in the event mine fails.

And when I go back to doing my current diving - 140-150ft dives with around 30min bottom time, Ill go back to pre-cut tables from v-planner and 2 backup computers.

edit:
Or maybe you are talking about the 120 NDL method? This is *still* susceptable to error, since it can be difficult to work out average depth and dosen't take into account multi-level profiles

TX101:
it hasn't been tested
I've done 400+ tests myself since I started logging with the Stinger in 2002... and more before that though there isn't the documentation for them.

But I suppose that most folks who have started with and are now relying upon dive computers probably should just stick with them.

Uncle Pug:
I've done 400+ tests myself since I started logging with the Stinger in 2002... and more before that though there isn't the documentation for them.

But I suppose that most folks who have started with and are now relying upon dive computers probably should just stick with them.

Some people have said to me with a straight face that VPM and RGBM are untested so they won't dive them - and these deco models would have millions of dives on them. USN tables probably have over a billion dives since they were first formulated.

I agree everyone should know how to use the tables.
However, I'm not going to discourage a learner diver from buying a computer because it 'rots their brain'. Because I don't think it does.

all right UP, I'm digging, and I'm actually finding some good info. Gotta go read some more. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom