Dive computer help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonjenn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking to invest in a cheap dive computer
i am new to the sport and just about to complete openwater course.
Any advice would be good for a first time user.
I am uk based so mainly cold water as it isn't warm over here.
Not going to be going every week as I work to bloody much

cheers for advice in advance

IMHO Suunto Zoop - does everything you need for OW / AOW / nitrox level diving (well, seems to for me & Mrs. B) and has user changeable battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would recommend a Mares Puck or possibly a VEO 100NX, you can get both for a good price for about $150 US, check on ebay.

Suunto Zoop, Mares Puck, Scubapro Aladin 2g and Hollis DG03 are all inexpensive computers that work great and handle nitrox as well. I've been using the Aladin Tec 2g (non Tec 2g has a couple extra features that mine doesn't have) for a couple years now and it's a wonderful computer. I'm about to upgrade and the only reason I am is for redundancy.

Agreed...Zoop or Puck.

Zoop or Puck

What you'll often find with these kinds of discussions is that people tend to recommend what they have and avoid recommending what they don't have. Therefore I'll avoid recommending a particular computer and just point out that the "A-brand" manufacturers all have computers in their product line and that at this particular point in time they are all perfectly good.

There are a variety of inexpensive and robust options within that range. You'll certainly be able to find something that suits you.

That's the official line. Now for the unofficial line: As for myself, I've owned a few computers but the one I dive with most is an (aging) Suunto Vytec. Suunto's menus suck balls, in my opinion, but their computers are highly reliable and their deco model strikes a nice compromise between bubble theory and Haldane. (in fact, when they first thought of this we used to call it "bubble wrapped Haldane").

Other computers, like the Mares, are much more "bubble" oriented, which gives different ascent profiles (deep stops) as opposed to the more traditional computers. There is some good evidence to suggest that bubble models have some advantages but the implementation is essential. A poorly implemented bubble model is dangerous. A well implemented one can enhance your safety. I don't know the specifics of the Mares (or the Suunto tek) ones but the impression I get from the ascent profiles they prescribe is that they are pretty conservative.

I'm not familiar with other manufacturer's offerings. I think that I spend enough time online that if there were problems with them that I would have heard about it. I haven't. You'll have to dig into the details of those particular products yourself.

Hope that helps.

R..

Zoop in a DSS bungee mount. I don't own one but did own a Gekko which is badically same thing save download capability. Simple to use and very reliable.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 08:48 PM ----------

Or a Hollis DG03 $249 at DGX. A lot of computer for the money.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom