Dive Computer for Bonaire for Safety Reasons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your diving profiles and frequency are similar to mine. I use an inexpensive Oceanic computer, a no longer manufactured Veo 250 with a no longer manufactured Veo 180 Nx as a backup. IMHO, all computers are conservative to the extent that none operate to put a recreational diver at risk. So-called "conservative" options in some computers are additions to a conservative foundation. It is up to the diver to pay attention to what is going on during the dive, to what the computer is showing and to not make profile management errors.

The Oceanic VEO 180nx was introduced in 2002 and has been out of production for at least 5 years. (Thus the great price on discontinued units still for sale on the web.) At the time it was Oceanic's entry-level basic feature dive computer that worked with both air and nitrox. As noted previously it only supported a single arguably liberal algorithm. If you buy one you should probably change the battery ASAP since these computers have been sitting on the shelf for years. The equivalent one-button model today is the VEO 1.0, which supports DSAT or Pelagic Z+ algorithms. My wife and I have both been using VEO 1.0 computers for the past 5 years and have no complaints. Others have complained about awkwardness of one-button operation but we like it.

I respectfully disagree with the opinion that a compass isn't needed for diving on Bonaire. Will you get lost without one? No. But having a compass makes it easier to dive immediately from your entry point and return to the same place at the end of the dive without surface swimming and/or repeated prairie dogging to get your bearings. For some sites (like Bari Reef, Something Special, or the Cliff etc.) a compass probably isn't needed. But it sure makes diving easier at the southern sites where there's a significant distance from shore to the drop-off. I can't help but shake my head at all of the divers I see swimming on the surface to the mooring pins at the drop-off because they can't find it diving without a compass. They're missing out on 1/3 of the dive by swimming over the shallow sections.

Arsalan please forgive me for putting on my instructor hat for a minute, I hear a few internal warning bells going off. While you profess desire to increase your safety margin by using a dive computer I'm concerned that you appear unfamiliar with how to use the device to actually increase your safety. You've mentioned willingness to make deco stops and state intention to "plan my dives accordingly and not rely on the dive computer to do the planning for me." Deco stops are generally discouraged in recreational diving for safety reasons. And how else can you plan your dives when diving with a computer without using information provided by the computer to help you make your planning decisions? Ideally you should invest in a consultation session and/or guided dive with a qualified instructor or dive master and get some coaching on dive computer use. Unfortunately I get the impression that your limited budget and "price sensitivity" may prevent you from doing this. You are certainly doing the right thing by taking ownership over your own profile and safety by using a dive computer. Please consider investing additional time, and money if required, to make sure you know how to safely use this instrument.

The Oceanic VEO 180nx was introduced in 2002 and has been out of production for at least 5 years. (Thus the great price on discontinued units still for sale on the web.) At the time it was Oceanic's entry-level basic feature dive computer that worked with both air and nitrox. As noted previously it only supported a single arguably liberal algorithm. If you buy one you should probably change the battery ASAP since these computers have been sitting on the shelf for years. The equivalent one-button model today is the VEO 1.0, which supports DSAT or Pelagic Z+ algorithms. My wife and I have both been using VEO 1.0 computers for the past 5 years and have no complaints. Others have complained about awkwardness of one-button operation but we like it.

I respectfully disagree with the opinion that a compass isn't needed for diving on Bonaire. Will you get lost without one? No. But having a compass makes it easier to dive immediately from your entry point and return to the same place at the end of the dive without surface swimming and/or repeated prairie dogging to get your bearings. For some sites (like Bari Reef, Something Special, or the Cliff etc.) a compass probably isn't needed. But it sure makes diving easier at the southern sites where there's a significant distance from shore to the drop-off. I can't help but shake my head at all of the divers I see swimming on the surface to the mooring pins at the drop-off because they can't find it diving without a compass. They're missing out on 1/3 of the dive by swimming over the shallow sections.

Arsalan please forgive me for putting on my instructor hat for a minute, I hear a few internal warning bells going off. While you profess desire to increase your safety margin by using a dive computer I'm concerned that you appear unfamiliar with how to use the device to actually increase your safety. You've mentioned willingness to make deco stops and state intention to "plan my dives accordingly and not rely on the dive computer to do the planning for me." Deco stops are generally discouraged in recreational diving for safety reasons. And how else can you plan your dives when diving with a computer without using information provided by the computer to help you make your planning decisions? Ideally you should invest in a consultation session and/or guided dive with a qualified instructor or dive master and get some coaching on dive computer use. Unfortunately I get the impression that your limited budget and "price sensitivity" may prevent you from doing this. You are certainly doing the right thing by taking ownership over your own profile and safety by using a dive computer. Please consider investing additional time, and money if required, to make sure you know how to safely use this instrument.

Thanks. That is great advice and will definitely look into it. Infact I've already contacted dive friends to get a guided dive for the first day to help me with the exact problems you've stated.

That's a good deal for a good computer. Aeris brand has been discontinued as it was rolled into Oceanic under American Underwater Products. Looks like nitrox and 3 mixes not needed, at least at this time, but offers future flexibility. I would have no problem using this computer. I dive an Oceanic VT3 primary and Geo2/SPG backup

Renting a computer for the trip is a viable option but it may be better overall to be very familiar with a computer you own and can practice with well ahead of the trip. Once you use it, future trips would be that much easier

I have the Cressi Leonardo wrist computer and have been very happy with it. I wound up getting mine for around $200 and found it to be an excellent computer so far for the price. I used it in Bonaire for about 15 dives. It's easy to use, comfortable to wear, and I especially like that the battery is user-replaceable instead of having to send it out to the company for replacement. The one-button wasn't an issue for me. Mine was accidentally in Gage mode for our checkout dive, though, and this locks you out of the computer for 48 hours so make use sure that Gage mode is OFF. For the two days I was locked out of my own computer, I rented a Zoop from Dive Friends for $13 a day (I noticed the Zoop is $225 on LeisurePro). It worked well but I didn't like it as much as I like my Leonardo and I didn't find the 3 buttons to be all that more convenient/user-friendly than one button.

I have the Cressi Leonardo wrist computer and have been very happy with it. I wound up getting mine for around $200 and found it to be an excellent computer so far for the price. I used it in Bonaire for about 15 dives. It's easy to use, comfortable to wear, and I especially like that the battery is user-replaceable instead of having to send it out to the company for replacement. The one-button wasn't an issue for me. Mine was accidentally in Gage mode for our checkout dive, though, and this locks you out of the computer for 48 hours so make use sure that Gage mode is OFF. For the two days I was locked out of my own computer, I rented a Zoop from Dive Friends for $13 a day (I noticed the Zoop is $225 on LeisurePro). It worked well but I didn't like it as much as I like my Leonardo and I didn't find the 3 buttons to be all that more convenient/user-friendly than one button.

You could of reset the computer in the Systems menu. It would not have given any credit for the checkout dive but the new computer did not either.

We tried everything, we couldn't get it to do anything for the 48 hours. A couple things we tried even re-set the clock (if I recall correctly, I believe the system reset was on of the things that restarted the 48 hour countdown).

Don't think I saw this mentioned yet in the thread. But only one dive computer per person? ;-)

If your dive computer dies on you mid trip, you will have to spend 24 hours out of the water, and then start diving square profiles with your dive tables.

It might even become a safety issue. You have to be really honest with yourself, if you found yourself in this situation and you are diving the rest of the trip on tables while your buddy has a functional dive computer .... will you really end the dives according to your tables, or will you sucumb to the imense temptation to dive the much longer bottom times your buddy's dive computer will be showing?

Also if you want to be doing 3 - 5 dives a day, I'd make sure both you and your buddy have your Nitrox certification. Most of the diveops in Bonaire don't charge extra for the gas.

Don't think I saw this mentioned yet in the thread.

Actually looks like you read nothing BUT the OP. This was mentioned several times in the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom