Dive computer "Err" after airline flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cklud

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Mares Genius Dive Computer that has always worked great for hundreds of dives. I went on a trip and put it in my checked on luggage. After I arrive I took it out and it had "Err" in the max depth location at the lower right of the display. I did not use the computer for 2 weeks before the trip so it is not likely to be any type of lockout or other normal safe guard. I tried clearing the error by holding down the contacts for > 1 minute - no luck. I then took it on a dive (with a spare I had since this one was broken) with the hopes it might clear the error. No luck either.

Does anyone have any guesses what happened? Could the new X-Ray machines for checked in luggage be strong enough to wipe out some of the software inside? Or could it have came into a very low pressure area that caused a part of the altitude compensation fail?

By the way Mares used the same chip as the Uwatec Aladin back then so if you know about the Uwatec Aladin the same answer could hold true here.

Thanks, Craig

You know those baggage handlers aren't too careful sometimes with the bags .... maybe the computer took a beating. :(

I'm going to be flying with my computer in a couple of weaks ... it's going to be in my carryon luggage.

It was packed carefully in the middle of the bag so I don't think it was a problem with handling.

I usually have it in my carryon but was worried about too many questions being asked with the heightened security lately.

Thanks for the feedback,
Craig

Sounds like it may have accidently been turned on during the flight. If it was off showing nothing on the display when you packed it and then when you took it out of your gear bag after the flight the computer was on showing "ERR" it sure sounds like it was. Most computers don't like being turned on and then going through altitude changes. You're suposed to wait until you have reached the altitude you plan to dive at before you turn it on. This gives the computer a chance to calibrate itself to the higher altitude. If it's turned on and then goes throught changes in altitude it doesn't understand why you seem to be ascending from a dive/ reducing the pressure, when you never decended to begin with and enters the error mode.

Try removing and then reinstalling the battery, if it's user replaceable, and see if that clears the problem. If not, take it back to the shop you bought it from and see if they can help you. But what ever you do never check your regulators or your computer, nicodaemos was right, airline bag smashers aren't exactly gental with the stuff they load on planes.

Scott

i had a similiar experience some 2 years ago. While driving back from Eilat - Red Sea to Tel Aviv, I was driving through Dead Sea - the lower place on earth. It is -400m. The computer was in a air tight container. When I got home, it was hard to open it. When I opened it, the computer was 'diving' at some depts (I don't remember). I was in panick!
After 24 hours, the ALadin reset itself. I went to the store, they put in the test to 60 meters and told me that everything is OK and that Aladin has a built in reset feature that is activated after 24 hours. Everything is OK since then.
What might happen with your is the changes in the pressaure. If you can not reset it, try to contact you local store of Mares.

sasha

Carry it on only, that way it stays pressurized, but also it knows what altitudes you are at

I've actually seen more problems like this from people who do carry on. Many times I've seen people grab their computer on the plane and turn it on during the flight so they can pull out the manual and read up on it again before the dives.

Problem is, the computers will take their pressure reading when turned on, and since we are at altitude... even though pressurized, we are not pressurized to 14.7pdi. Planes are normally flying at a 8,000 ft cabin pressure - closer to 11 or 12 psi. So the poor computer thinks your are starting a dive, and as the plane descends, and the pressure increases, it seem like you are descending as well. By the time you hit the ground, the display is showing you are doing a 5 ft dive or so... that never goes away, until you go up to altitude again and give it a chance to cycle off.

As suggested... another excellent reason for computers with user changable batteries... Kind of the dive computer version of Ctrl-Alt-Del

So whether you are packing in the dive bag (as I do) or carrying on (as some do) just make sure it's packed in such a way that it will not get activated - and if somehow it does.... reboot!

Justin699:
Carry it on only, that way it stays pressurized, but also it knows what altitudes you are at
On a jet airplane the baggage compartment and cargo compartment are at the same pressure.

It's a big flat floor between you and the baggage, and the outer skin of the airplane is cylindrical. Think about it.

Charlie99:
On a jet airplane the baggage compartment and cargo compartment are at the same pressure.

It's a big flat floor between you and the baggage, and the outer skin of the airplane is cylindrical. Think about it.

Only the forward hold is pressurized and heated, thats where animals go when flying

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom