Dive Computer Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I dove for years without a computer. Part of that is due to my initial training. At that time, computers were discussed, but the general feeling was that computers (and Nitrox) were for tech divers. Rec divers used air and tables. When I finally did get a computer, I opted for a console AI Oceanic Pro Plus 2. At the time, I didn't see the need to get the data transfer cable, so never transferred those dives. This computer lasted a while, but finally died. Traded it in for an Oceanic VT4 with wireless AI. This one came with the data cable. I started to log dives electronically, and really It's still in use, as I handed it down to my daughter when I got my Perdix AI.
I took a similar path. After a hiatus, I was recertified in 1997. I dived air and used tables for 5 years. In 2002, I made the single largest improvement in my diving, I bought an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 AI computer and got nitrox certified. I used the Pro Plus 2 for eight years before I switched to an Oceanic VT3, hoseless AI wrist computer. The VT3 is still my primary computer with 1489 dives and 1571 hours on it. These two computers could have been the only ones I bought for 18 years.

For a variety of reasons, I decided early to dive with a backup computer. The first was a Cochran EMC-14, it worked well, was more liberal than DSAT, but was very unwieldy to use. An Oceanic Geo2 was next for quite a while, it matched my VT3 perfectly. Four years ago, I switched to a Dive Rite Nitek Q so that I could learn Buhlmann and how it compared with DSAT. A little over a year ago, I bought a Shearwater Teric. The Teric runs off the same transmitter as my VT3.

Ninety five percent of my diving is no stop, the remainder is light back gas deco. All I really need is a computer that gives me dive time, depth, NDL on nitrox, a planning mode, and deco stops. Some of the other features are nice, but not needed by me, including multiple gases. Personally, I like AI very much. I have grown quite fond of the SurfGF and the floating north compass pointer on my Teric. I have all dives since 2002 electronically logged.

The Oceanic Pro Plus 2 is still used by my daughter. The Cochran still works fine but does not get much use aside from that as an occasional loaner. The Geo2 is my son's backup. The Nitek Q is my frequent loaner to friends and family. When my VT3 finally dies, I will likely replace it with an AI computer running Buhlmann, who knows what will be available then?

I took a similar path. After a hiatus, I was recertified in 1997. I dived air and used tables for 5 years. In 2002, I made the single largest improvement in my diving, I bought an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 AI computer and got nitrox certified. I used the Pro Plus 2 for eight years before I switched to an Oceanic VT3, hoseless AI wrist computer.
Eerily similar paths. I was first certified in 1990. That class was a joke. I got re-certified in 1997. Added Nitrox and the PP2 around 2002 as well.

You got me on total dives, though.

Eerily similar paths. I was first certified in 1990. That class was a joke. I got re-certified in 1997. Added Nitrox and the PP2 around 2002 as well.

You got me on total dives, though.
I was first certified in 1970, age 16, LA County Underwater Unit, that class was not a joke, prepared me well for 10 years of diving in Southern California, under a very wide variety of conditions. After 17 years of no diving, I got recertified with my son, age 12. That PADI class was actually pretty good, it was very easy for me due to my previous training and experience.

I probably have you in years too :)

I have been very happy with my Oceanic Veo2 and 3. And with the Geo before that.

But I must add that the manuals are not that great. Easier to learn the computers from YouTube videos.

If one of my two Oceanics conks out, I intend to replace it with the Deep6 Explorer.

I am new to diving and looking for a dive computer that is reliable and one that I won't outgrow. I plan to do nitrox but no diving deeper than 100ft. Wrist mount or console is OK with me. Any suggestions or personal experience?

Buying a dive computer is like buying a car (just usually a little less expensive.) There are a few fundamental styles, but they all have the same basic functions. Some of the more expensive models have more features. And there are a lot of brands to choose from.

And... if you ask for advice, everyone will tell you their favorite. Unfortunately, with cars and dive computers, you have to decide what works best for you.

Decide what features you want and what you're willing to pay for them. Use that to narrow your choices. Then consider the models on your list and pick the one that's best for you.

In my personal experience, had I started with Shearwater I would have saved a load of $$$ in my dive journey.

Started out with a Suunto Zoop, thinking an inexpensive computer was a smart play. The interface was so confusing and difficult it never made it into the water.
I learned on a Zoop. I was all set to buy a Suunto but there were a few issues with the watch band on the D4 and I couldn't get the novo. Also I've heard that the support is a pain in the ass. Not so much the company but shipping it to them all the time.

I knew I was going to keep using nitrox and I want to do wreck penetration which will likely push me further into tech in the future so I went with a Shearwater Teric. The only reason I got a Teric over the Perdix is they were roughly the same price and the 2 button vs 4 button interface is nice. I will eventually get a Perdix as my backup when I grow up a bit more. I'm still so new I'm not anywhere near there yet.

If I knew what I know now, I’d have gone with a cheaper second hand computer that can handle nitrox.

This is because you can always resell it if you outgrow is for not much loss and you’ll know at that time better what you’ll need.

Back
Top Bottom