Dive Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Forming a dive club in the Florida Pan Handle.

Panama City to Ft Walton area.
Anyone interested?

What kind of diving do you like, where and experieince?

I am going out to put the carb's back on teh boat. If it works, We're diving Marrianna springs in the morning (Saturday).

If not, What do the jetties look like?

We are North of Ponce de Leon on Hwy 181. If you do not know where that is, we are 7 miles from Vortex www.vortexspring.com

Anyone that just wants to dive.

By the way, I am a SDI instructor

No extreme diving or show off gear.

I think I have the boat running. I will try it today, If OK I will be heading for the springs at Marrianna in the Morning

I was just wandering if you had done anything more about the dive club. I would probably be interested

We are forming the club now. We have not made any rules or conditions.

My wife and I live 7 Miles from Vortex springs. I was certified in 74. I did not renew my instructor this year. $500 for insurance $125 for fee etc.

It is to be a non profit type of thing for divers to get together and have fun.

The type of people that we get interested will determine how it will operate.

Dive clubs started out with people tat wanted to dive. They would get together and pool gear, so people could dive. Just as in the day of surfers, they would go over to someones house and help them build a surf board, like a barn raising.

We just want to help each other out and have a good time, dive BBQ etc.

I can do VIP's and put stickers on tanks for people who need it.

I have 9 tanks, I need to get 7 to hydro this week.

I would like for use to get a compressor, a portable one would be good. This way a member could borrow it and go to the keys for a few days etc.

I could renew my instructors and give certs for cost.

I could make tanks and items availble for members.

We would have to figure out cost sharing or dues to buy stickers, compressor maintenance, insurance etc.

I have a boat that is good for the rivers and going to shell island etc.

Other members may have larger boats good for going out in the gulf

Open to sugestions

Thanks

My husband & I are currently taking our Open Warter Program & will be doing out check out dives this weekend. Sat morning Morrison or Vortex and Sunday somewhere in the Gulf.

We would be interested in possibly joining. We will be leaving for Roatan the 20th of July for a week and will probably get our advanced down there.

We Live in Panama City on North Bay and would love to dive anywhere anytime!

Zana

Zana,

What dives are you doing in the morning, OW 1 & 2, or have you been diving?

I live 7 miles from vortex. they have a website with live cams, www.vortexspring.com. I may dive there Sat. they are supposed to have fireworks., I may do a night dive.

What shop are you diving with? what agency are you getting certified with?

I was first certfified with NAUI in 74, curently SDI instructor rating, I decided this year not to teach any longer.

the weather has been bad lately. I do not think there will be any good gulf diving this weekend. PCB Jetties maybe SAT. Hig tide is at 2:01 PM, Sun it it at 8:51 AM. Last week the dredge was at the entrance, probably will not be a good dive.

Morrison will probably be closed, you will have to call Dennis and find out.

I dove it last weekend, it should have been closed. there were a couple of shops taking students in the water. Just from the surface, North of the platform, and down to do skills. Vis was only a couple of 5 feet. I did a solo dive, it's OK, I'm an instructor and SDI has a Solo cert. When I approached the springs, I saw a gator on the bottom about 2o + feet away. A very big gator about 24 - 30 inched accross at the shoulders. I continued my dive in another direction. When I returned, he wasgone, ...so I thought! I worked the top ledge on the North side for about 20 min at 27'. I then dropped down to 30+ for about 10 min. All of a sudden I was covered with a cloud of black silt. I could see nothing. My first response was that an instructor had ventured over this was with some students and they had stopped at the top of the ledge and dropped silt down on me. Thiswould have been foolish for new students, with the min vis and danger fo the caves/caverns. I thought that all but a few of the divers had already gotten out of the water.

I shot up and could see 25 ' in all directions, no other divers in site, just a 2' wide by 1' high gator silt trail toward the entrance of the tributary. I must have cornered him and cut him off, when he got a chance to get out he took it.

If you like, my wife and I can get together with you and dive

Tanks
Kris

I probably can't make social meetings, being in Tallahassee, but would love to be involved and get in some diving. I was trying to plan a PC dive tommorow, but it fell through. Marianna rocks though. Are you cave certified? We just did Hole in the Wall, Twin Caves, Gator Hole a few months back and it was great.Only went in a few hundred feet, since im cavern cert only, but still a good dive. Email me when you have more info.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom