Dive Club Membership???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

empyre180:
I am 27 and finishing up my OW classes and would like to know about joining any dive clubs Tampa. I plan to get my AOW next month (july). I'd like to know what dive clubs are really all about...besides the obvious of course. Any info is greatly appreciated.

What dive clubs are all about. Hmmmmm.....

Let's see - finding dive buddies who quickly turn into real world buddies, having great times above and under the water, having folks to learn from and to teach...

I think the only requirement (you guys might want to check the by-laws) is that you buy the beer/gatorade/watermelon now and again and show up to dive with us in the near future.

Welcome to the group. Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

empyre180:
Well it sure sounds like I'm in the right place. Certainley no shortage of options, in any direction. I can't wait to get going. Thanks again. Oh, is there any special training I need in order to get into spear fishing?

-topher-

You will want to go with someone who has done it before. NAUI has a card for it.. I took it for 2 reasons only - 1) to learn more about the gun I had, to see if there were any other tips or tricks I could pick up. I'll give a good hint. Don't try spearing until you have time in the water and are comfortable with your gear, it adds a few more elements to diving that you dont want to deal with until your very comfortable with your dive skills and can estimate gas management when your "working" underwater vs. a fun cutsiepoo reef float. :)

When your ready, post it up... there are a few of us here who can help steer you in the right direction and keep you from shootin your teeth out. :)

CBulla:
You will want to go with someone who has done it before. NAUI has a card for it.. I took it for 2 reasons only - 1) to learn more about the gun I had, to see if there were any other tips or tricks I could pick up. I'll give a good hint. Don't try spearing until you have time in the water and are comfortable with your gear, it adds a few more elements to diving that you dont want to deal with until your very comfortable with your dive skills and can estimate gas management when your "working" underwater vs. a fun cutsiepoo reef float. :)

When your ready, post it up... there are a few of us here who can help steer you in the right direction and keep you from shootin your teeth out. :)

Sounds great Colin,
Thanks a bunch

-topher-

GrierHPharmD:
What dive clubs are all about. Hmmmmm.....

Let's see - finding dive buddies who quickly turn into real world buddies, having great times above and under the water, having folks to learn from and to teach...

I think the only requirement (you guys might want to check the by-laws) is that you buy the beer/gatorade/watermelon now and again and show up to dive with us in the near future.

Welcome to the group. Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

Wow, pretty strict by-laws. I think I could handle it though. It all sounds like a pretty sweet gig. I look forward to my diving future.

Thanks a bunch.

-topher-

Although we dont organize trips just for socializing, just for dives, there are usually long SI's where we chat for a good while about all sorts - that isnt to say a lot of us dont chat on here during the week as wel (via posts to threads) - but its nice to see the people in person as well.

If you feel like a local dive, next weekend (6/26) a few of us are thinking of shark tooth diving out of Venice, there is a thing going on with some SoCal divers coming in August that looks like it could be kind of good and there are sure to be other trips coming up. I am a member of a "dive club" in Orlando and although they set it up and said from the outset that they would be a "club that dives" i have yet to go on a trip with them - they have only had one trip so far, but a few larger ones in the pipeline - so we shall see - i am giving it another few months to see how they start to get themselves together before i decide whether to stay or quit on them.

simbrooks:
Although we dont organize trips just for socializing, just for dives, there are usually long SI's where we chat for a good while about all sorts - that isnt to say a lot of us dont chat on here during the week as wel (via posts to threads) - but its nice to see the people in person as well.

If you feel like a local dive, next weekend (6/26) a few of us are thinking of shark tooth diving out of Venice, there is a thing going on with some SoCal divers coming in August that looks like it could be kind of good and there are sure to be other trips coming up. I am a member of a "dive club" in Orlando and although they set it up and said from the outset that they would be a "club that dives" i have yet to go on a trip with them - they have only had one trip so far, but a few larger ones in the pipeline - so we shall see - i am giving it another few months to see how they start to get themselves together before i decide whether to stay or quit on them.

What's an SI? I'd definately like to go on that shark tooth dive, but I'm finishing up my NAUI OW course and our last dive is next Sunday, the 27th. So unfortunately, I'm not yet certified. But definately in the near future. From what i've been hearing, it seems like a lot of "dive clubs" don't actually dive all that much.

SI = Surface Interval - that unfortunate time which gets sandwiched between dives, the time when you are thinking "oh i want to be down there again already", but at least the others there make the time fly by.

Dive clubs - maybe not all that great - at least here you dont have to pay dues to just sit around and talk for hours :wink:

If dive clubs dove as much as we do, dive shops would be having a tough time keeping up with business. I'm out every other week, sometimes both days on a weekend diving. Thats at least 6 tank fills and sometimes broken gear replacement or something I realized I need in my dry box or a peice of gear that I should have. :) Average of $30 a month for fills and misc. small gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom