Dive Club Membership???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

empyre180

Registered
Reaction score
I am 27 and finishing up my OW classes and would like to know about joining any dive clubs Tampa. I plan to get my AOW next month (july). I'd like to know what dive clubs are really all about...besides the obvious of course. Any info is greatly appreciated.

All you need to do is check in often and watch for get togethers. We dive all over the place all the time. I dive almost every weekend and people down Venice way are always in the water.
You can set up your own and I'm willing to bet you'll find someone to go. So stick around on the board as much as you can. Post often and you'll see what I mean.
Check this out
http://www.scubaboard.com/t39161.html
Fred

Sounds good Fred, Thanks for the tips.

-topher-

One day I'm going to take a weekend break from diving and take that AOW myself.. until then..... I'm diving until someone tells me to stop!

Hey, empyre180, beware the dry dive clubs. Here in Ft Myers we have a club, and bless their hearts, they are nice people but..... its more a dinner/social club. Me, I like to dive, not gab, thus when I went to meetings there were only 3 or 4 of us who dove regularly out of 40-50 who showed up. I found ScubaBoard and my dive log has grown exponentially as did my dive buddies and underwater experiences.

So you've met a lot of folks through this site? Is this site, or at least the conch diver part of it considered a dive club? Do any of you meet on a regular basis to discuss trips, social events or anything like that? I know you said some clubs are a bit too gabby and not enough divey. I wouldn't want that. I want to dive, and more importantly I want to learn new skills, ie. wreck dive, night dive, spearfishing, etc... You think this is the way to go about that? I'd also like to meet some fun people in the process.

Thanks for the input,
Topher

:lightningGO BOLTS!!!:lightning

empyre180:
So you've met a lot of folks through this site? Is this site, or at least the conch diver part of it considered a dive club? Do any of you meet on a regular basis to discuss trips, social events or anything like that? I know you said some clubs are a bit too gabby and not enough divey. I wouldn't want that. I want to dive, and more importantly I want to learn new skills, ie. wreck dive, night dive, spearfishing, etc... You think this is the way to go about that? I'd also like to meet some fun people in the process.

Thanks for the input,
Topher

:lightningGO BOLTS!!!:lightning

We have get togethers on a regular basis but not for socializing. We say where, when and everyone that wants to show up does. 8 of us got together 2 weeks ago at Paradise springs and spent the day diving. not to long ago about 50 of us went to Ginnie for the weekend. Then the guys from down south do beach dives together all the time. and then set up boats, ckeck the trips section and browes through it you'll see what I mean. Here's the link http://www.scubaboard.com/f237.html
Fred

hi empyre180, this board is great for get togethers- as suggested, if you check back in often there are always dive trips coming up throughout the state-lots to do and getinvolved with, you will never be short of a buddy if you need one. You can always PM (personal message) specific people on the board if you want to ask specific questions, or plan dive details.
I'm based in Tampa and now I have almost finished my studies, I will be up for some day trips in summer- I'm not too fond of the diving in the gulf, but If you want to go elesewhere, maybe we can buddy up.
over all- welcome and enjoy!!!!

munkispank:
hi empyre180, this board is great for get togethers- as suggested, if you check back in often there are always dive trips coming up throughout the state-lots to do and getinvolved with, you will never be short of a buddy if you need one. You can always PM (personal message) specific people on the board if you want to ask specific questions, or plan dive details.
I'm based in Tampa and now I have almost finished my studies, I will be up for some day trips in summer- I'm not too fond of the diving in the gulf, but If you want to go elesewhere, maybe we can buddy up.
over all- welcome and enjoy!!!!

That all sounds great. Thank you. So what is it about the gulf you don't like? Do you like diving in the Springs further north, or do you prefer places on the other coast?

-topher-

What most people dont like about the Gulf is that its shallow for a long way off shore and that it doesn't have the pretty "aquarium" look that people see in the popular diving magazines. I like both. Its fun to dive the reefs and look at the pretty tropicals and eels and other critters that make their home around the live rock. Conversely I find it equally entertaining to dive in some of the ledges, wrecks, and other artificial reefs that are what Gulf Coast diving is about. Different fish, different habitats, different dive conditions. Thats not to say you wont find some of the tropicals making their way to artificial reefs around the Gulf coast, I've found a few surprises on one of my recent spear dives... :)

This is what makes FL a unique place to live for divers. Within a few hours drive any direction you have the Atlantic Ocean, Carribean, Gulf of Mexico and Fresh water springs and rivers.

Well it sure sounds like I'm in the right place. Certainley no shortage of options, in any direction. I can't wait to get going. Thanks again. Oh, is there any special training I need in order to get into spear fishing?

-topher-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom