Dive Buddy :: Florida Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deadweight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
How would you like to buddy up with a diver on vacation in Florida? I'm from the UK and have passed PADI OW but have not logged many dives. Will be with my family but am the only diver in the party.
All in 2006
Itinery is : Marathon, Middle Keys, 24-July to 28-July, then next time on the coast is Anna Maria Island, 7-Aug to 10-Aug. Flying back to UK on 12-Aug so no diving on the 11th.

A few beers after the dive is a definite possibility in keeping with entente cordiale.
I'm from Yorkshire so you will at least have fun with the accent.
Also used to diving in metric so it should be fun deciding who has what air left etc

If you aren't around to buddy-up a few tips on the best diving for a new diver would be appreciated.

Best wishes
Deadweight.

Deadweight:
Hi,
How would you like to buddy up with a diver on vacation in Florida? I'm from the UK and have passed PADI OW but have not logged many dives. Will be with my family but am the only diver in the party.
All in 2006
Itinery is : Marathon, Middle Keys, 24-July to 28-July, then next time on the coast is Anna Maria Island, 7-Aug to 10-Aug. Flying back to UK on 12-Aug so no diving on the 11th.

A few beers after the dive is a definite possibility in keeping with entente cordiale.
Also used to diving in metric so it should be fun deciding who has what air left etc

If you aren't around to buddy-up a few tips on the best diving for a new diver would be appreciated.

Best wishes
Deadweight.

As a fellow Andy Cap, but you will not be in my area and as I have just moved into a new home yesterday travel is out of the question for me at the moment. Next time maybe.

Hello Deadweight, welcome to SB and the Florida forum! There's an invasion happening in the Keys 10 days before you're scheduled to be there. Who knows, things might never be the same once the resident islanders get a weekend af SB madness!! :D

Check out the Tampa area divers thread for info on diving in the gulf. (PM me if you need a link) There are plenty divers and dive ops in Florida. Weekends, folks are usually out diving. Give it a few more days to get some answers/ suggestions.

Hope you enjoy our lovely sunshine state while you visit. If you've never been diving in Florida before, you likely won't want to leave! :) Have a safe trip!

Hi Deadweight,

I live around the corner from Anna Maria Is., but unfortunately have to work during the week. Call Pete and Lorraine at Seatrek Divers on the island. They're good people. www.seatrekdivers.com, seatrek@netzero.com (941) 779-1506

Rich

Deadweight:
Hi,
All in 2006

Best wishes
Deadweight.
Hi, this post still active.

Hey Deadweight, my wife and I might be up for some diving around that time. We live up near Miami but travel to the Keys to do our diving. Thing is we usually don't plan that far in advance, mostly spur of the moment lets go diving today kind of thing. So keep me posted on your travel plans and we'll do the same. We have dove with a couple of operators down in the Keys, one in Key Largo, one in Marathon and one in Key West. All of them are small boats of no more than 8 folks. We like the smaller boats versus the cattle boats that are all over down there.

ndnatty,
Thanks that sounds great.
Marathon is the first week of the vacation, so I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with the dive boats operating from there.

Also what wetsuit would you recommend for the conditions. Used to wearing a full 7mm and a 5mm shortie here in the UK, boots, 5mm gloves and hood. (Pending dry-suit certification). What are the typical ranges of water temp and viz in late July?

...better get back to work the boss is coming!

If you get a chance to drive down I highly recommend diving Looe Key Marine Sanctuary. It's shallow (20 feet or so) and has lots of life, great place for a newbie.
Ber :lilbunny:

that time of year you can get by with shorts and a tshirt, the water is usually around 82 degree's F (27-28 degree C). I would recommend a skin at least, that why you accidently bump the coral it would give you some protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom