Dive Buddies in Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bre Anne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ll be in Pensacola from Dec 29th through Jan 1st to visit my aunt. I’d love to go diving around the area during that time just to keep my skills up and see what’s out there. Currently working on my AOW cert.

The Gulf has been a washing machine the past several weeks with cold fronts rolling in. Here off Tampa Bay we had wind gusts topping off at 70 mph and seas at 15-20 ft. this week. The last report I got the temp here was 62 f and viz was 2-4 feet. Most have hung up their fins until Spring. I can't imagine Pensacola being much better. Perhaps you could hit some fresh water springs in the area where the viz may have improved from less rain and of course the temp is always 72f.

Springs in the panhandle are a bit cooler than the main part of Florida. Mid to high sixties.

Vortex is fun enough as is Morrison Springs but both are a bit of a haul from Pensacola..... They are north of Panama City Beach

I think the Springs may be pretty flooded out right now. Merry Freakin’ Christmas

Yeah we were going to dive at Catfish Hole today, but when I called the park they said it’s closed to OW divers and only cave divers could go. That pretty much threw a wrench in our plan. Rainbow River was great yesterday though. We’re going to try Blue Grotto tomorrow. Wish us luck ✌️

I tried and tried to find a boat that might plausibility go out and it’s not happening as far as I can tell. I’m diverting to the Springs.

Which springs were you planning to hit up? I’m up for it if you are. I really don’t mind the drive. I’ll be coming in from Jacksonville... or Orlando if I find out I don’t have to work this week.

Springs in the panhandle are a bit cooler than the main part of Florida. Mid to high sixties.

Vortex is fun enough as is Morrison Springs but both are a bit of a haul from Pensacola..... They are north of Panama City Beach

What’s morrison springs like? I did my Open Water at Vortex springs, but I’d love to go back.

The Gulf has been a washing machine the past several weeks with cold fronts rolling in. Here off Tampa Bay we had wind gusts topping off at 70 mph and seas at 15-20 ft. this week. The last report I got the temp here was 62 f and viz was 2-4 feet. Most have hung up their fins until Spring. I can't imagine Pensacola being much better. Perhaps you could hit some fresh water springs in the area where the viz may have improved from less rain and of course the temp is always 72f.

With the low pressure system that rolled in last week I’m not surprised every where is a little chaotic. Flying in it was no better either. Probably need to do a sun dance of some sort to clear up all this nasty weather.

Bre Anne, as you know, Vortex is very commercialized.... Morrison is the opposite. Its in a small county park in, what feels like, the middle of nowhere. In reality, its only a few miles from Vortex. There are all sorts of trees growing out of the water on the perimeter of the spring. It sort of looks like it should be swampy when you stand on the shore, but the water is very clear once you're under. The park's setting is sort of spooky and I always feel like an alligator might be hanging out nearby.

The coolest part is the cavern.... Its filled with fresh water eels. They are creepy in their own right, but cool to watch.

Bre Anne, as you know, Vortex is very commercialized.... Morrison is the opposite. Its in a small county park in, what feels like, the middle of nowhere. In reality, its only a few miles from Vortex. There are all sorts of trees growing out of the water on the perimeter of the spring. It sort of looks like it should be swampy when you stand on the shore, but the water is very clear once you're under. The park's setting is sort of spooky and I always feel like an alligator might be hanging out nearby.

The coolest part is the cavern.... Its filled with fresh water eels. They are creepy in their own right, but cool to watch.

Wait are there alligators in there? It sounds really cool though. Would I be able to dive it with my OW? I know I can go into caves so I’d have to wait on seeing the eels for a little bit.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom