Dive Buddies: Daughter or Son

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonicvalley:
Some of the best divers that are out there (or were) are families. just try to keep the argueing down to a dull roar i.e. the Rouses :argue: :bash:

I was going to tell her that no matter what, don't read The Last Dive.

i got open water certified with my uncle last year, and he is a pretty bad diver...in one dive, he completely missed the platform we were landing on and drifted down to 50 feet in the quarry when we were first to be in 25 feet, hit the inflator button instead of the deflator button at 25 feet and rocketed to the surface (luckily he was fine, the instructor and i went up after him)...after that i was reassigned a buddy and he had to dive with the instuctor for the rest of the dive ;-)...and then he was swimming away from the instructor at the end of the dive, and this is a 38 year old guy who has done everything from surfing to skydiving with no problems...i dont know if i would be comfortable diving with him without any supervision, and i havent since the certification...plus there is also the factor that if there is a strong personal relationship with you and your dive buddy you are more likely to risk your life in order to save them, stupidly...im not saying that you shouldnt do it for them, or for anyone for that matter, but if you known your both likely to get killed you should save yourself...like The Last Dive with Chris and Chrissy Rousse, i forget what was it was but Chris either sacrificed his pony that he had for Chrissy and free ascended, and then the regulator was busted anyone...okay im just rambling now but i think you get the point

DiveExtreme22:
The Last Dive with Chris and Chrissy Rousse, i forget what was it was but Chris either sacrificed his pony that he had for Chrissy and free ascended, and then the regulator was busted anyone...okay im just rambling now but i think you get the point

I am willing to bet that there is not a parent diver out there who would not have done the same thing for their child as what Chris did for Chrissy in that sub that day.

I, as a parent of two divers, know that I could not live with myself if I came back and one of them didn't and I had even an inkling of a thought that there was something I could have done to change that outcome.

A stranger on a dive boat whom I just met. Sorry. They know the risk. I will do whatever is possible but not at the cost of my own life. I am a EMT on a rescue squad in a remote county where we do on occasion have to take "calculated risk". Every fireman/police officer/ EMT etc. knows what I mean........

Just my Opinion............

From the point of view of the father:

I remember offering my son help and guidance when he was first learning. Soon he was more comfortable and confident than I. He has his own life and isn't inclined to spend it diving with Dad much anymore but I don't think either of us have a problem with the idea of diving together and we have had fun doing so. Would I take extrodinary measures to save him? Of course, but then, that's my job too...

From the point of view of the son:

Mom's getting on in years. Her knees are shot, she's got a bad back and she's blind without her trifocals. She doesn't dive except in the company of myself or my brother 'cause somebody's got to help her into her wet suit and carry her gear. Diving with Mom is an excercise in underwater babysitting but hey, she's my mom and she's having fun, right? It's not like she's up for a game of racketball... Would I take extrodianary measures to save her? May as well -- there's not much to gain from the estate ;-)

Desa:
I am willing to bet that there is not a parent diver out there who would not have done the same thing for their child as what Chris did for Chrissy in that sub that day.

I, as a parent of two divers, know that I could not live with myself if I came back and one of them didn't and I had even an inkling of a thought that there was something I could have done to change that outcome.

A stranger on a dive boat whom I just met. Sorry. They know the risk. I will do whatever is possible but not at the cost of my own life. I am a EMT on a rescue squad in a remote county where we do on occasion have to take "calculated risk". Every fireman/police officer/ EMT etc. knows what I mean........

Just my Opinion............

I agree wholeheartedly. As the father of 2 young boys who want nothing more than to grow up and go diving with their dad, I would have done everything I could to have helped either/both of my children just as Chris did for Chrissy that day.

Which would have included not diving to a depth that deep unless able to do so on 'mix', but that is a whole other thread...

no i understand that you would have taken the risk for your son/daughter as chris did for chrissy, just as i would for my uncle, or anyone else in my family i am diving with i was just saying that that is how one fatality turns into two, and that is the problem with family buddy teams. not saying its wrong to help your family, cause i know i would to

Back
Top Bottom