Dive Buddies? Anyone still diving around here??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, we had a pretty wonderful weekend. It was a bit on the ovenish side in terms of surface temperature, but other than that everything went as planned.

We arrived early Saturday afternoon, as planned, and, as planned, we were able to make contact with the owner immediately upon arrival to pay entrance fees and complete paperwork. We had myself, three DM candidates working on open water requirements, and another diver working on the Deep Diver and Diver Propulsion Vehicle (Scooter) specialties as well as trying to notch some 100 foot dives because of the requirements for technical diving certifications. Every goal was accomplished.

We had the place to ourselves the entire weekend--our own private lake. I am sad to say that some previous visitor had left a fair amount of trash on the ground, which we picked up. Everyone I have ever been with at that site over the years has been meticulous about keeping everything pristine, so it was sad to see this. There is no paid staff picking up after us, so it is up to us to keep things looking good. If anyone knows someone diving there with a penchant for Clif Bars especially, tell that person to use a trash bag.

On a couple of dives we really took our time looking at the formation of selenite gypsum crystals on the 100 foot ledge just north of the east descent line. The bigger and more mature ones are coverred in the purple/black goethite (my non-expert opinion), but the new ones being formed are still somewhat transparent, and if you get your light on them just right, you get the tell-tale gleam. We found some new growth crystals that were like tiny needles sticking out of the ultra fine organic silt deposits.

On Monday the DM candidates were on their way home, and the other diver and I started the day with a dive to the pinnacle at 130 feet, just south of the east descent line, and then multi-leveled our way up. After that, it was all about the DPVs, and when one of my DPVs had its battery run out unexpectedly early, he got an extra long training on his towing skills.

Once again, we are dependent upon and grateful for the presence of the god-like Stella. We were filling our tanks in the evenings, and it is so nice to be able to call her at home and arrange to have her there to fill our tanks. We just gave her a call and told her when we could come by. She can't live forever. What will happen when she decides to call it a career?

I am having surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome July 7, and I will be out of commission for a few weeks after that. When I am healed, I will be ready for another trip.

While I'm interested in the next time there's an opportunity to do Rock Lake, anyone interested in some diving that doesn't require an overnight stay? I'm in Denver, and willing to drive, but back and forth trips on the same day are easier on the financial and time budget.

Hey John, good luck with the CTS surgery (been there, done that, glad I did it).

@Reallydg, when I get back in town I'd be happy to do some day-trip diving around the Denver area. Right now I'm up in Puget Sound and have been diving my brains out. Just got back from diving at Browning Pass, British Columbia... Pure awesomeness!

I'll be back in August.

glenn

My LDS was trying to set up a rock lake trip on the 18th, but they postponed it due to conflicts. I may still go out to Blue Hole anyhow. Particularly if my DS flooding was due to the exhaust valve and my swapping it out fixed it, I'll check it at the pool this weekend.

My carpal tunnel surgery went well, although I either had an unusually bad reaction to pain medication afterward or had the bizarre coincident of having some sort of stomach virus. Yesterday was not goo, but I feel fine today.

I expect to be bringing a tech group to Rock lake some time in August, depending upon people's schedules.

Hey John,
We've been in contact via PM, but I'm interested in your August trip if it doesn't conflict with work.

Right now we are looking at the weekend of the 8th, but the exact dates depend upon people's work schedules. We may possibly not start until Sunday and then extend as late as Tuesday. We will be working primarily on the PADI Tech program, but we may well have other divers doing other things as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom