Dive Boats....What is best??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a new guy to this forum, looks like a great source of info! I'm looking into buying a boat (used) that will be used primarily as a diving platform, something that will comfortably accomidate about 6-8 people and gear. I've been looking around on the net and in magazines but haven't had a whole lot of luck. What are you guys using to dive from? What is the best make to use as a dive boat? I'd be using it in the Gulf of Mexico also. If there is anyone out there that can stear me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks:)
Sean

First of all, Welcome to The Board!

Can't help you with your boat question, sorry.

Are you ready to buy Italian?
Try BWT. I've seen great diving boats by them.
No ... I don't sell them at all
:blahblah:

Hello Coastie and welcome to the board.

This is kind of a difficult question to answer without some additional info. I have run a 24fter off the NC coast for about 10 years so I will give you my impressions. The first 3 questions that come to mind are:

1: Do you REALLY want a boat?
I see from your name that you are from NY and you indicated that you intend to use it in the GOM as well. Are you going to be able to use the boat enough to even start to make it worthwhile? Charter cost are nothing compared to docking expences, fuel (both for the boat and towing vehicle) and maint cost. Not to mention the pain in the rump of preping the boat before the trip and the cleanup afterwards.

2. Do you want to trailer it or just dock it? And if you trailer it, how far/fast?

Anything much bigger than about 25 ft starts to get hard to trailer over a long haul. It can be done but it's not fun. Assuming you do want to trailer it, you may want to drop your expectations of how many you can safely/comfortably handle. My 24 will comfortably handle 4 divers with 2 tanks each and 1 boat sitter. I WILL NOT dive without at least 1 person remaining ON BOARD who can handle the boat. If you intend to dock it, then about 30ft would be my minumum length for 8+1.

3. Where are you planning on diving and what type of diving are you planning on doing off of it?

If you are talking about inshore, say <10 miles off shore on shallow reefs you can get by with less boat than is needed for long haul offshore trips with tech divers.

Some general things that I feel are needed in a comfortable/safe dive boat include:

A large enough boat to handle a lot worse conditions that you ever intend to go out in....you WILL get caught one day.

Some sort of overhead shelter on the boat. Mine has a U shaped cabin with the back end open. The center console boats are easy to get around in but a shady place to sit during the SI's is a must for me and when the weather turns bad, you will appreciate the shelter..been there on several occasions.

A good swim platform and ladder are a must. It should be as large and as close to the water as possible.

Electronics and more electronics. 2 GPS, one with diff reciever or WAAS, 2 VHF marine radios and depth sounder. In addition to electronics, a good compass and charts.

And above all, a good captain that knows his limits, his boat's limits and respects the sea.

Hmmm,

Wish list;

Surface supplied air.
Surface supplied mixed gas.
Dry bell.
He recovery system.
On deck decompression chamber with adaptor flange for direct transfer under pressure from the bell.
Something between eyes class and work class ROV.
Endurance to maintain full operations for at least 2 weeks at sea.
Dynamic positioning.
Sidescan sonar.
A great chef as ships cook, preferable Marco who was the chef on RV Hero when I was in Antarctica in '84-85.
Well trained and experienced crew and captain.

Gee a last generation commercial dive boat from the GOM oil patch market should cover most of this nicely. Now all I have to do is come up with the money to finance the venture.
:(

The definition of a boat is "a hole in the water surrounded by wood, steel, aluminium or fiberglass into which you throw perfectly good money". From my Navy days there is also a modified, "the only two good boats are the one you just sold and the one you are going to buy, the worst is the one you presently own".

Coastie, it sounds like you have a challenge ahead of you. Buying the boat is the easy part.

Having said that, there are benefits to owning your own boat. You set your own agenda including the departure/return times, where to dive and how to dive. Screw the cattle boats.

I recommend a 24 foot cuddy cabin/ single bridge with inboard/outboard and V8 engine. Galvanized trailer with electric winch a must. The boat should be fitted with a stout teak swim platform and ladder, stainless steel. Get the usual CG safety gear, compass, fenders, 300 feet of 1/2 inch braided (not twisted) anchor line, a 12 pound Danforth anchor and a grappling hook. You'll need a chart recorder, radio and GPS, plus charts. Find a boat which has fairly low freeboard. That probably means a hull with liner and free standing motor housing. Look for companion seats which have storage capacity. Check under the bunks for additional storage. You need a lot of space for tools, PFD's and spare parts kit. The fuel tank should hold at least 60 gallons. Look for two windshield wipers, or install later. Keep an eye out for a tank rack of some kind. Also, think about building a simple tank cradle from PVC tubing. Check for two LOUD horns. Figure out a stowable mast for a dive flag. A collapsible boat hook can be doubly useful. Get one.

Learn to use your radio and other electronics. Keep a separate VHF or weather radio at home. Learn to interpret the forecasts. Also, use the internet to access NOAA reports.

This boat will have a max capacity of 4 divers and gear.

Coastie,I'm currently saving towards asimilar boat.I currently have a 21' Seastrike with 1050lb of capacity.We have had 4 divers@2tanks and one boatwatcher/fisherman.The smallest boat I've been able to find with the capacity and room are all catamarans .The 27 Seacat ,26 or 28 Pro-Kat ,26 Twinvee are the only ones left on the list right now.Glacier Bay,Grady-White,World-Cat and others got the boot due to the wide transom .The afore mentioned have room to walk out the back even with doubles and stages on.Herman and Devjr lists of equipment are great .An EPIRB would be nice to.I dive out of my boat or a buddies at least 60 days out of the year.That would be $50x2 x60 for me and my wife .Anyone who thinks charters are great,stay there.I dive all the stuff they don't go to and the money is a wash.Trailering is no drag either.I go 500+ miles one way several times a year .A comfortable tow vehicle shopuld be able to carry most of the crew to prevent anyone from avoiding the inevitable boat and fish cleaning chores.Do lots of research first and you'll not end up in the position of having a boat but wanting a different one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom