Dive Boat Unattended By Dive Op With Divers Below - Safe Practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . anchor line breaks, boat drifts away . . . .

For a maintained anchor line and little to no current, little to no waves, I'd argue that is a really small risk, small enough for dive ops throughout the world to take it.

This is not an uncommon practice from my limited experience in locations outside of the US with no current or waves where the boat captain is the dive op owner and guide. The boat is anchored just off shore, so in the unlikely event of it breaking lose (it would take a while for any wind to make it drift away), you'd just swim 10 to 50 meters or so to shore.

If you are diving 10-50 meters off shore without a current, a boat that drifts away, may be no big deal since you might as well be doing a shore dive. However, I can assure you that during the course of a 50 minute dive in open water, a boat can drift a lot farther in a 10-15 knot wind than you might be able to swim. When I take the family out boating on our lake, I always stay in the boat while they swim and snorkel. If I need to get in the water, another adult gets in the boat before I exit. I am not a boat captain, just a recreational boater, but that is just common sense IMO.

Divers are always accompanied. In one country, it isn't legal for divers to dive solo. That may apply to more countries as well.

There have been several threads over the years where you have multiple divers with one DM/quide and an issue leads to a diver making a quick ascent with other divers left in the water.

If you are diving 10-50 meters off shore without a current, a boat that drifts away, may be no big deal since you might as well be doing a shore dive. However, I can assure you that during the course of a 50 minute dive in open water, a boat can drift a lot farther in a 10-15 knot wind than you might be able to swim. When I take the family out boating on our lake, I always stay in the boat while they swim and snorkel. If I need to get in the water, another adult gets in the boat before I exit. I am not a boat captain, just a recreational boater, but that is just common sense IMO.
Worst case scenario where it breaks just as everyone is far enough away, I'd agree with you. But again, low wind, low waves, low current, low risk. I'm a recreational boater myself. I've never left a boat unattended, other than to a mooring line that is owned/maintained by me. But I've seen it being done. I'd only have an issue if when I surfaced that getting to shore would be an issue.

There have been several threads over the years where you have multiple divers with one DM/quide and an issue leads to a diver making a quick ascent with other divers left in the water.

It comes down to probability and at what level of risk a boat op (and clients) are willing to take.

For a maintained anchor line and little to no current, little to no waves, I'd argue that is a really small risk, small enough for dive ops throughout the world to take it.

I think it's bad practice to subjectively decide on the spot, based on current conditions, whether it's okay to leave a boat unattended. Sure, the risk may be small, but we as divers take precautions against the small risks all the time. This is a commercial operation, to which safety of their customers should be a prime concern. It's a small risk, but such an easy one to mitigate, simply by not leaving the boat unattended.

Worst case scenario where it breaks just as everyone is far enough away, I'd agree with you. But again, low wind, low waves, low current, low risk. I'm a recreational boater myself. I've never left a boat unattended, other than to a mooring line that is owned/maintained by me. But I've seen it being done. I'd only have an issue if when I surfaced that getting to shore would be an issue.

You assume that the diver reaching the surface is in good shape. What if they had a medical issue. what if they had cramps. What if they had a marine life injury. Not saying you cannot get away with it 95% of the time but if something happens no boat can be really bad. Seems like you are discarding another layer of safety.

Not clear in OPs post that the clients were asked. They came up to find captain out of the boat.

Local maritime authorities may impose and enforce requirements for attended commercial boats that fall under their jurisdiction. A couple of years ago a dive op in Grand Cayman got a fine and some bad press for having divers in the water without a lookout on the book, see the link below.

The article quotes Cayman Port Authority law as stating: “At least one person shall remain on board and act as a lookout on any dive boat or other vessel whilst divers therefrom are down.”

Dive operator fined for safety breach | Cayman Compass

Last edited:
I think it's bad practice to subjectively decide on the spot, based on current conditions, whether it's okay to leave a boat unattended. Sure, the risk may be small, but we as divers take precautions against the small risks all the time. This is a commercial operation, to which safety of their customers should be a prime concern. It's a small risk, but such an easy one to mitigate, simply by not leaving the boat unattended.

Again. It comes down to calculated risk. In the US, the dive boats I've been on were taxis. In other places, I had to be accompanied. Now in some places having more staff is an economics issue. That's just reality.

You assume that the diver reaching the surface is in good shape. What if they had a medical issue. what if they had cramps. What if they had a marine life injury. Not saying you cannot get away with it 95% of the time but if something happens no boat can be really bad. Seems like you are discarding another layer of safety.

I agree. I won't say it is the safest practice, but I'm trying to explain why a dive op, from their perspective, are willing to take such risks.

For situations where I can swim to shore, I personally don't have a problem with it for my own personal safety. Each individual needs to make that choice for himself or herself. In the case where I couldn't easy reach shore, there's no way I would do it. Others might. That's their choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom