Dive Boat Unattended By Dive Op With Divers Below - Safe Practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not an uncommon practice from my limited experience in locations outside of the US with no current or waves where the boat captain is the dive op owner and guide. The boat is anchored just off shore, so in the unlikely event of it breaking lose (it would take a while for any wind to make it drift away), you'd just swim 10 to 50 meters or so to shore.
U.S. waters, Kauai, Hawaii. Captain and bubble watcher started on boat. DM was in water with divers. Strong current on Napali coast of Kauai.

U.S. waters, Kauai, Hawaii. Captain and bubble watcher started on boat. DM was in water with divers. Strong current on Napali coast of Kauai.
I understood that. I think the USCG isn't going to be thrilled about this. I'm sure the captain is going to justify it that they were close by snorkeling, that there was no risk. I am skeptical that such an excuse will be accepted. Nevertheless, I don't think that this falls in PADI's domain. I could be wrong however.

Regardless of what regulations say, it's just not a smart practice. What if someone comes up needing help, with nobody on the boat to help. Nobody there to throw a life ring, nobody to assist bring a victim on the boat, nobody on the boat looking for an SMB to pop up. There are just too many bad scenarios to, as a captain, put yourself or your customers in that situation.

Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way

This is the case for every non-drift dive I've done in the Caribbean. Boat ties up to buoy at the divesite. DM is also the captain. For small boats (6 divers) I can't see this being a legitimate issue when doing simple dives (profile, current, etc).
Am I wrong?

Who was watching in case there were issues with a diver?

Divers are always accompanied. In one country, it isn't legal for divers to dive solo. That may apply to more countries as well.

This is the case for every non-drift dive I've done in the Caribbean. Boat ties up to buoy at the divesite. DM is also the captain. For small boats (6 divers) I can't see this being a legitimate issue when doing simple dives (profile, current, etc).
Am I wrong?

I don't think so if there is no current or waves and shore is close by.

This is the case for every non-drift dive I've done in the Caribbean. Boat ties up to buoy at the divesite. . .
. . . anchor line breaks, boat drifts away . . . .

Back
Top Bottom