Dive Boat suggestions ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmitch3938

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking into a used older model boat that would make the " almost perfect " dive boat..I've looked at Bayliners, Sea Rays, SeaHunts, etc..Ive been looking in the 25-30 foot range as most of the diving would be offshore about 8-10 miles out, so would have to be able to handle the seas. Not many models offer the walk thru transom or a great swim platform. Prefer a cabin type boat as well...a lot of the ocean rated boats have the outboard motors which are a pain for diving, especially if the seas are rough..so any tried and true suggestions out there ?

Wow, looks like I get to be the first on this thread.

jmitch, you are going to get alot of wonderful suggestions about boats on this forum. Everyone is passionate about the boat they use and why they use that particular model. Eveyone is right. Boats are a very personal thing. Probably the most personal piece of dive equipment you will every own. I've never read anyone on this board who couldn't fully justify why their prefered model boat wasn't perfect for them.

Personally, I've got a 23' Parker. Totally love it. They're built just south of you in Beaufort, NC. Some may think it is a bit pricey, but they tend to hold their value and it fit my requirements. Solid, cabin, large deck space, very seaworthy, not a walkthru transom but the platform is good. It has a single 250 hp Yamaha and handles like a dream. I've put full electronics and added a ladder and cover over the deck. I've had it out close to 30 miles offshore here in Panama City.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
I have an old delta, it has a cabin and is built like a tank. Just look an what the small commerical fishing fleet uses and you will be fine. They use diesels have cabins and handle well in the open ocean and carry lots of weight.

My preference for diving is definitely a pilot house boat. This provides good open space for your gear and a solid enclosure to get out of the elements and for handling a sea. I like Parker, Osprey, and of course, C-Dory. I decided on the C-Dory Tomcat for my latest purchase. It's a planing cat with a dive ladder and handrails standard. Here's a link for reference: Fluid Marine LLC - TomCat 255 PilotHouse

Other C-Dory models are also nice but only the Tomcat offers the Armstrong outboard bracket/swim platform.

Matt,

I'd not seen the TomCat before. That's one fine boat. Are you running the Hondas on it? Any problems to speak of?

Parkers are a good choice..You can also look at Privateers -made in NC..less espensive than a Parkers,more on the commercial use type "work boat".Built like a tank.I have a 21' w/Peconic cabin on it with a 200hpdi yamaha .Have had it off shore and rides fine.

Matt,

I'd not seen the TomCat before. That's one fine boat. Are you running the Hondas on it? Any problems to speak of?

I logged just shy of 1000 miles on the GPS this season and I can honestly say I love it. I decided to go with Suzuki 150's. The Suzuki 150 offers the largest displacement of any 150 made right now (including E-tec, Honda, Yam, etc.) and I wanted the torque. I have counter-rotating engines and I can swing larger props on the Suzuki compared to other brands. I can top out at 47mph on the GPS if I want to go fast. I can also plane off on one engine in a pinch.

The ride of a cat is unreal, I submit you will never return to a planing monohull once you compare the ride in chop. All boats have their limits of course, beyond about 3' chop I need to slow down and slug it out like everyone. I test drove the same size monohull in 1' chop and no matter what I did with the trim tabs you get the usual monohull pounding. I hopped into the Tomcat and could run WOT comfortably in the same chop - I was sold. I decided for the money I was going to spend to get into a new boat I wanted a dramatic improvement in the ride and experience. It is just a pleasure to cruise at 22 knots, getting about 2.2 mpg, with a soft air cushion preventing the slam.

I have had only little things to fix, and none that were specific to the boat in fact and most items were due to a bad dealer. My Seastar hydraulic steering pump was bad, my shower sump box had a cracked intake nozzle, and one of my battery selector switches was broken. All these items were of course replaced under warranty. The Tomcat comes with a 10 year hull warranty. Suzuki was offering the "Gimme 6" 6 year warranty on the engines.

Matt,
That definitely screams " dive boat"..what was the price range ?

Back
Top Bottom