Dive Boat suggestions ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be taking it to Honduras so no need for a trailer..... decisions decisions.

Matt, how did you outfit yours for diving? Roll control racks? Ladder? anything else?

Matt, how did you outfit yours for diving? Roll control racks? Ladder? anything else?

I installed tank racks from East Coast Plastics (Roll Control System - Diving, Fishing, Boating Accessories). The boat comes with a Garelick dive ladder. The three step ladder fits into the fish boxes. I know of one owner who had a compressor custom installed as well.

In terms of navigation I installed a Furuno chartplotter, radar, gps receiver, tri-lens radar reflector, DSC VHF, etc.

I installed tank racks from East Coast Plastics

I'll second the Roll Control tank racks from East Coast Plastics.
Trident (the SCUBA gizmos folks) sell them, but it's just as easy
to get them direct. Here's some pix and comments, a page or so
down: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

He had it on Ebay last month for the same price. I've been saving for one, but it won't be until 2009 before I get one.
tc4-1_edited-2.jpg

I'll take a different tack and mention what Vessel Assist and Sea Tow uses. Shamrocks.

Inboard diesel, direct drive transmission, prop shaft, and a full keel. The cockpit is wide open with no outboard or outdrive and engine box to get in the way.

Love those Shamrocks.

My apologies if I missed it, but I don't think anyone above mentioned Island Hopper. They build dive-specific boats, and their 30 is a tough, tested boat that has been around for a long time. You can usually find them used with tank racks and everything in place. Inboard diesel, small cuddy cabin, built like a tank. Good luck in your search.

I will second the opinion of having a pilot house to stay out of the weather in. I looked long and hard for boats when I was choosing one. I only dive off of mine and it has served me well. Any of the name brand pilot house style boats will serve you well. Just decide if you want to trailer it or not, want outboards, inboards or I/O's.
Good Luck,
Gene

...at least that's what I have and it gets the job done.

It's not perfect, it's not a speed demon, it has it's faults and weaknesses but...it's wide, heavy, stable, economical, safe, hauls a load of gear and divers, keeps me out of the weather (sun, heat, cold, rain, wind).

All boats are tradeoffs. Pick one that's well made and has "most" of the features that you are looking for.

The softness in the boating market now should allow you to get in cheaper than ever before. I don't know what your experience is but be sure to do the math for maintenance, upgrades, and operating costs. Its way more than many people think, even for a small boat.

Roll control is the way to go for tank holders!

I think you'd be better served buying/renting an outboard panga locally when you get there.

Somehow, I don't think a pilot house would serve you that well in the tropics. Getting it there is a whole nutha story.

On another note, that Tomcat sure is sweet.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom