Dive boat accident involving Dive tech and Cathy Church boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said before, Kangaroo Court. Short of someone having a stroke while at the helm, I cannot imagine any plausible excuse for ramming a moored vessel at a dive/snorkel site.

She was in violation of rule 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, and 18.

If I remember the 'rules' correctly.
Rule 1. (I think the general wording is something along the lines of).
Irrespective of the 'rules' every effort is to be made to avoid collision. (which basically, you can disobey the 'rules' if it allows you to avoid a collision. Blindly following the rules does not remove your responsibility to rule 1.)

I actually like the fact that they actually have a rule that says avoid collisions, even if you break the rules -Golden.

If I remember the 'rules' correctly.
Rule 1. (I think the general wording is something along the lines of).
Irrespective of the 'rules' every effort is to be made to avoid collision. (which basically, you can disobey the 'rules' if it allows you to avoid a collision. Blindly following the rules does not remove your responsibility to rule 1.)

I actually like the fact that they actually have a rule that says avoid collisions, even if you break the rules -Golden.

That and safe speed are the ones that will always hang you....

That and safe speed are the ones that will always hang you....
Yes. I love safe speed, because the very first lesson taught to me as a captain was “do not approach any object faster than you want to hit it”. Every docking is a collision, just at a safe speed.

Cathy Church has been charged for the boat accident with Dive Tech:

Cathy Church charged over boat collision | Cayman Compass

Cathy Church charged over boat collision
July 4, 2019

[URL='https://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=https://www.caymancompass.com/2019/07/04/cathy-church-charged-over-boat-collision/&title=Cathy Church charged over boat collision'] [/URL]
DiveTech-5-696x463.jpg

Divetech's boat Atatude was damaged in the collision. - Photo: Taneos Ramsay

Photographer and environmental advocate Cathy Church has been charged by police in connection with a boat crash at the Kittiwake dive site.

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service confirmed a 74-year-old woman, understood to be Church, was formally charged with navigating a vessel so as to cause damage or risk of damage and committing a reckless and negligent act in relation to the collision on 8 Jan. this year.

She will be summonsed to attend court at a later date.

Church’s boat ploughed into the side of a Divetech scuba boat that was moored at the Kittiwake dive site.

Divetech’s distinctive pink boat Atatude was damaged in the incident. According to Divetech staff, there was no one at the helm of Church’s boat when the collision occurred.

Cathy Church has been charged for the boat accident with Dive Tech:

Cathy Church charged over boat collision | Cayman Compass

Cathy Church charged over boat collision
July 4, 2019

View attachment 527626
Divetech's boat Atatude was damaged in the collision. - Photo: Taneos Ramsay

Photographer and environmental advocate Cathy Church has been charged by police in connection with a boat crash at the Kittiwake dive site.

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service confirmed a 74-year-old woman, understood to be Church, was formally charged with navigating a vessel so as to cause damage or risk of damage and committing a reckless and negligent act in relation to the collision on 8 Jan. this year.

She will be summonsed to attend court at a later date.

Church’s boat ploughed into the side of a Divetech scuba boat that was moored at the Kittiwake dive site.

Divetech’s distinctive pink boat Atatude was damaged in the incident. According to Divetech staff, there was no one at the helm of Church’s boat when the collision occurred.
Good to hear there will be consequences - not that I have anything against Cathy Church, but the accident was inexcusable and totally preventable - so a message needs to be sent that this type of carelessness will not be tolerated.

Notable lack of any informative details. Better late and hopefully correct than fast and wrong . . . as far as any charges.

Back
Top Bottom