dive-bluemotion - BANDA SEA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

Has anyone dived in this place?
If yes, what is your opinion?
After arriving in Ambon, is it difficult to reach the island?

Wow Bandanaira is a ride in its own, It's more of a historical place than a really worth place to dive.

I've been there a long time ago, just a couple of years after the "King of Banda" Des Alwi died, he was the owner of the hotel Maulana which was the only land operation allowed to operate dives in the Banda islands, Maluku divers had been sacked out before. Hence nobody could provide diving at that time, so I just snorkeled first around the hotel for the Mandarin spot (big fatty mandarin fish, the largest I've seen, not even shy), also on the coral spots near to the volcano and off neighboring Pulau Ai where I stayed as well.
Coral was good but honestly it lacked of fish life, even though hammerheads sightings were reported around.
I met the founder guy from Blue Motion on a later trip to Ambon, he told me had started his op in Banda but it was too late for me to try. So I only know Blue Motion Ambon (now closed) but not Blue Motion Banda.

As for history it's probably one of the best places in Indonesia to stay : lots of old dutch forts, dutch cannons lying in the grass, nutmeg plantations (at Medieval times nutmeg was sold at gold price in Europe, Banda islands were kept secret but they can explain a lot of things of what happened in the western history like the discovery of America or the rise of the VOC beating portuguese vessels that could't stand the Banda SEa.). The food is also the best you can find in Indonesia, smoked fish in Kenari almond sauce, cinnamon flavored pancakes filled with pala jam.

There was one dodgy airline with small propeller planes which was operating 2 or 3 times a week from Ambon. Then they sudenly stopped because they were not paid by the regional governement (business is not easy in Maluku, ask some of the people who tried to set resorts there...) so ther was no access to Banda anymore for some years. Then there was a fast ferrey operating whenever waves (that can be terrible in the Banda Sea) allowed.
I really don't know what's the transport situation is currently.

So sorry for that long post.
To make it short : if you expect diving only, there are better places to stay, if you are a history buff this is the place in Indonesia, if you like traveling and serendipity Maluku is the region to go.

Wow Bandanaira is a ride in its own, It's more of a historical place than a really worth place to dive.

I've been there a long time ago, just a couple of years after the "King of Banda" Des Alwi died, he was the owner of the hotel Maulana which was the only land operation allowed to operate dives in the Banda islands, Maluku divers had been sacked out before. Hence nobody could provide diving at that time, so I just snorkeled first around the hotel for the Mandarin spot (big fatty mandarin fish, the largest I've seen, not even shy), also on the coral spots near to the volcano and off neighboring Pulau Ai where I stayed as well.
Coral was good but honestly it lacked of fish life, even though hammerheads sightings were reported around.
I met the founder guy from Blue Motion on a later trip to Ambon, he told me had started his op in Banda but it was too late for me to try. So I only know Blue Motion Ambon (now closed) but not Blue Motion Banda.

As for history it's probably one of the best places in Indonesia to stay : lots of old dutch forts, dutch cannons lying in the grass, nutmeg plantations (at Medieval times nutmeg was sold at gold price in Europe, Banda islands were kept secret but they can explain a lot of things of what happened in the western history like the discovery of America or the rise of the VOC beating portuguese vessels that could't stand the Banda SEa.). The food is also the best you can find in Indonesia, smoked fish in Kenari almond sauce, cinnamon flavored pancakes filled with pala jam.

There was one dodgy airline with small propeller planes which was operating 2 or 3 times a week from Ambon. Then they sudenly stopped because they were not paid by the regional governement (business is not easy in Maluku, ask some of the people who tried to set resorts there...) so ther was no access to Banda anymore for some years. Then there was a fast ferrey operating whenever waves (that can be terrible in the Banda Sea) allowed.

To make it short : if you expect diving only, there are better places to stay, if you are a history buff this is the place in Indonesia, if you like traveling and serendipity Maluku is the region to go.
Nice history lesson. But how does this relate to 2023? " if you expect diving only, there are better places to stay ".

But how does this relate to 2023?
The dutch forts are still there aren't they? i guess there was no shortage of pala nor kenari nuts in the last couple of years as well.

@ppina

~6 years ago we took an extended trip from Darwin to Biak (this was a travel-study trip for a university). The first stop was Banda - we spent 3 days diving and visiting the forts.

The diving: good, but it didn't blow us away. We did come across hammerheads on two dives (as well as having pilot whales near the boat on one surface interval). We enjoyed diving the (somewhat) recent lava flow as well. I recall one night dive just outside the harbor was very good (reef slope with many nudis, crabs, and the occasional cephalopod).

Topside: the Dutch forts were interesting, as was some of the local culture. We arrived during some of the local traditional dragon boat racing - which were both very competitive and colorful.

If you are interested in the history of the region (and the role Banda played in it), there is a good book, Nathaniel's Nutmeg (by Giles Milton) that provides a very good history of the region, including the Dutch, British, and Portugese influence. Not sure what languages this book is available in commercially.

The dutch forts are still there aren't they? i guess there was no shortage of pala nor kenari nuts in the last couple of years as well.
Sure, but you stated an opinion about the diving now. And you simply do not know.

Sure, but you stated an opinion about the diving now. And you simply do not know.
It's not like I didn't explain that I only snorkeled around Pulau Ai, in front of Bandanaira and the volcano, didn't I.
Having a bad hair day, Rob?

It's not like I didn't explain that I only snorkeled around Pulau Ai, in front of Bandanaira and the volcano, didn't I.
Having a bad hair day, Rob?
Luko, all fine with me, these are your words: " if you expect diving only, there are better places to stay ".

f you are interested in the history of the region (and the role Banda played in it), there is a good book, Nathaniel's Nutmeg (by Giles Milton) that provides a very good history of the region, including the Dutch, British, and Portugese influence. Not sure what languages this book is available in commercially.
Great book...not very kind on the "non-British" haha.
Anyone have recent (post lock down) info on Banda? Flights, hotels, diving etc?

I thought that was a very informative post to be fair.
I would really love to go but don't think August is the best time.

QUOTE="Luko, post: 10025838, member: 5402"]

[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom