Dive bags on Cozumel ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from two great weeks in Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen. While diving in Puerto Morelos the divemaster mentioned he had his dive bag go missing on the Cozumel ferry and to be careful when we went back. At the ferry they wanted to take our bags but were unwilling to give us a bag tag for the dive bags only for the other bags. When we told them we would not check our bags without a bag tag and started to board with our bags they tried to stop us. We insisted that we would not check out gear without getting a tag and boarded with our bags but we pretty much had to force our way on board.

Why will they not give tags for dive bags, without them anybody can take your bag at the other end. They carefully check the tickets against the other types of bags before they let you claim them but expect you to hand over your dive gear with no security at all.

Maybe I have a suspicious nature but the only reason I can come up with for not providing the tickets is that there is a decent resale market on Cozumel for dive gear. Maybe I would not be as cynical if every time I tried to fill up a rental car in Playa the attendant did not try to pull a bill switch on me. If they are going to do that at least do it well and not be so obvious with it.

I admit - that is very odd. I've never had them refuse me a ticket for ANY bag they've made me check. I would request to speak to the manager (who is usually the Captain on the ferries.)

Not normal and you have a valid reason for being suspicious.

never had any problems with bags on the ferries but i do know that some years back the ferry was boarded by pirates and passengers were robbed. it turned out to be an inside job. in other words the crew was in on it.
kinda makes the crossing a little more adventurous huh?

Never had any problem myself with bags but as said this is strange, They always give a ticket for any bag.
Two years ago a younger friend of mind put a surf board on and when He got to the island it was gone.
He did speak Spanish at all. He did however get his point across and went back on the boat and made the workers look everywhere.
They found the board under some boxes and returned it to him, and that was with a ticket for the board.

It's been a few years since I took a bag onto the ferry that one would not check as airline luggage, but I did get ticket stubs for it. I just don't think I would release one without a receipt of some sort. Check it or carry it one - pick one.
Never mind the Ferry, how about baggage claim in airports?

I can't remember the last time I was stopped for a baggage tag check before walking out of the terminal.
I have asked about that and the airline agents admitted it was cheaper overall to pay the claims than check bags out - other than in Houston Hobby and Dallas Love, and those experiences were years ago. Haven't been thru either in a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom