Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I'm just getting back into diving, after a long time off. Got me some spilt fins, had no idea they were going to kill me, guess I got lucky on my one dive with them. Thanks for the heads up I'll go get them changed out.

Hahahaaaa

Honestly, this is a great thread and I couldn't agree more.

I'm on here to learn as much as I can so I can be a safe diver, lead, and set the right example for my wife and later my kids.

But seriously is there something inherently inferior about split fins?

But seriously is there something inherently inferior about split fins?

My simple understanding, based more on research than practice: split fins are easier on the ankles and potentially more efficient when flutter-kicking forward. Paddle fins are thought to be superior for all of the other various kicks and offer more control.

I need to get me some of those paddle fins of immortality! Until then ignorance is bliss!

On a more serious note, after lurking for nearly a year I wouldn't consider anyone to have a demeanor of supreme authority over any given subject within the scuba realm. Like any given sport, activity, or hobby you tend to lean toward a certain taste or garner your own idealistic style based off some sort of experience or outside influence. I appreciate the fact that many members here take up a strong position to express their points. Without that sort of conviction it would feel like I were surrounded by a bunch of untested or unproven noobs!

To be fair scuba diving does seem to be a rather subjective activity, which makes it extremely difficult for each and every person to come to an agreement on every topic. The shear number of certifying agencies proves how much diversity there is within the industry when it comes to instruction. There tend to be many rules that they all adhere to and accept as standard practice and then there are products of these systems like me that have no problem sporting split fins or wearing MOF. I do like the idea of "dive and let dive," but please stick to your convictions and voice your reasoning when the opportunities present, otherwise noobs like me will never learn!

After sleeping on this I have an idea: Let's start a "Dive and let dive!" movement. When you see peeps being mean to others, even yourself, remind them to dive and let dive. Even unsolicited comments can be dealt with by a firm, yet kind: "Dive and let dive! You can even add it to your Signature Line and show your support.

Count me in!

There is also the “badass” factor where people want to do what’s cool but sometimes WHY it is cool may not apply to their situation and in fact may be counterindicated. Like if you are shore diving Monterey, and you’re petite and light and you need to haul ass with a good half hour of flutter kick through cold water all the way out to the Metridium Fields before your dive gets really interesting THEN the split fins, which act like little propellers, might work WAY better than cool badass cave diver jet fins, that in a Florida cavern you can achieve perfect trim in, and squeeze into little cracks as you slowly inch along dragging a bunch of stage bottles.

There is also the “badass” factor where people want to do what’s cool but sometimes WHY it is cool may not apply to their situation and in fact may be counterindicated. Like if you are shore diving Monterey, and you’re petite and light and you need to haul ass with a good half hour of flutter kick through cold water all the way out to the Metridium Fields before your dive gets really interesting THEN the split fins, which act like little propellers, might work WAY better than cool badass cave diver jet fins, that in a Florida cavern you can achieve perfect trim in, and squeeze into little cracks as you slowly inch along dragging a bunch of stage bottles.

I dive with paddle-style fins fro Deep 6 now. However my first set of fins were split fins and they worked wonders on the sometimes long surface swims on a Southern California shore dive. I never once had any cramping using those where as with paddle fins I have had a couple of cramps with surface swims, especially in a current.

Dive the gear that works for you for the dives you are doing. Or...

Dive and Let Dive! :cheers:

Yes! Ideally a large fin wardrobe... including freediving fins, heavy tech fins, a monofin, maybe those force fins, and some of those crazy old eastern bloc vintage fins from the vintage forum, and Mare Avanti Quattros, and some Mako Competition Fin cut down to fit a smaller bag, and actually I’ve been thinking of body casting my feet and making some experimental fins... pant pant

Back
Top Bottom