Dive Alert sound device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of signal mirrors, anyone have recommendations on a good one for UW that might last? The ones we've been carrying for some years, the plastic shells leaked long ago and the mirrors inside are mostly worthless at this point. I see 3 on LP, but no reviews or details and actually no claims of waterproofness on any of them.

I bought a Scubapro one, the only one I found, about 6 years ago and it's holding up very well save the odd scratch. I made a neoprene sleeve for it so it floats and has some protection against the other items in my pocket.

I carried a mirror for about 6 years before it started delaminating. At that point I was in need of a replacement and Dive Right in Scuba just happened to throw one in as a give-me on an order. It is still working just fine, and I would get the same one again if it lasted another 6 years.

Trident Safety Signal Mirror - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

My partners mirror I just cut from a plastic sheet of mirror I had laying around. *shrugs* It works and was also free, but it doesn't have the aiming part. Two fingers take care of the aiming part.

I have it, and I love it!

I mostly use it for underwater communication, it proved to be much more efficient than banging stuff against my tank.

I have to say, if there is a definition for "Geek Diver" that would be me, so any cool gadget that is around I'm eager to test it.
This one, proof to be of good use.

As a DM, I feel more confident that the people I guide or the students will be able lo reach me more easily if I can catch their attention as soon as I need to. Normally, during the briefing on surface I let them know I have this device and that they should be hearing a "duck" underwater when I need their attention.

my 0.02.

Def. dive with one, they hook up to your LP inflator so they are out of the way. Great just in case.

I am not opposed to to them, but don't carry one, they seem pretty out of the way, and don't seem to add a lot of clutter to a setup, however, I don't feel I need it. I carry an SMB for passive signalling, and a mirror and whistle for active signalling. I think the mirror is probably the best signalling tool though, if you can get a good flicker going, it has much better range than any audible signalling device. I think the SMB works well, once you have their attention.

I just bought my Dive Alert when doing a dive trip 100 miles offshore and 50 miles to the closest island. It just seemed reasonable to have something in addition to my whistle and SMB just in case I surfaced away from the boat. Never came close to using it on that trip.

I really don't like underwater noisemakers but did buy the version that works both on the surface and UW just in case. My wife and I just did a trip to Bonaire and I took it on a shore dive when it was just the two of us diving just to try it to make sure it even works. I ended up seeing an eel while my wife was out in front of me so I used that opportunity to try it. I had to squeeze it harder than expected to get it loud enough to get her attention but it did work as she looked around to figure out what the noise was. I don't think I'll use when with a group but may use it when it's just the two of us.

I carry one in my BCD pocket for emergency surface alerting. I've only had need of it once when I had to terminate a dive in Roatan and surfaced about 1/4 mile from the boat in very choppy conditions. I personally do not like them for alerting underwater, but I do carry a shaker instead. I know a lot of people do not like noise makers for underwater signalling because some people just use them too much, but I consider having one important. I always try to keep things quiet underwater unless signalling is really warranted.

Back
Top Bottom