Dive Alert sound device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone use the Dive Alert sound device? Any reviews? I'm going to do some open ocean diving in two weeks (if the weather allows us to get out there) and my wife thinks I should have one for that trip. Doesn't sound like a bad idea for some signaling safety if they actually work and don't get in the way.

I never dive without one. The Dive Alert Plus is very loud out of water and quacks underwater, just don't overuse it or you'll lose lots of friends. Make sure you do not test the out of water horn near anyone. I accidentally set mine off on a boat and I thought I was going to get thrown off the boat.

You should have a varierty of surface signaling devices and not just rely on one thing that won't work if you are out of air or out of range. ( Not saying that you do. )

For underwater signalling to my buddy I use a bronze two way clip which are available from any hardware store and relatively cheap. I carry it on my camera strap to give it a very slight positive buoyancy as I don't want it floating upwards at a rate of knots

I have one. It's good above water. Not great underwater. It's ok if the other person knows what to listen for. The metal clip banging on the tank is easier and you dont waste air. Above water it's really loud you just have to squeeze it hard otherwise it quacks.

It's a little more maintenance because you need to blow it out each time you use it. I have an air2 and it is ok with it. It does make the hose a little stiffer to get the reg in your mouth but it is doable. For normal BCD inflator it doesn;t interfere. I use it when diving from a boat. I don't use it at the quarry because there are tons of people around and its just another thing to clean afterward.

I bought it because I read DIver Down and there were probably 4 different cases in there where the divers would have been helped easier if they had a very loud signalling device.

I despise quackers!!!! Maybe in the right hands, its nice, but it seems to me the most talkative/annoying people have them and underwater,,,they are now talkative and annoying just the same..only underwater.

For a signaling device for an emergency they are great, very loud, If you have air. However...for the amount of use you are likely to get out of it, they will likely not function when you really need it. They do need to be rinsed, and taken then care of. I've seen people that have had them for awhile, then one day test it for kicks, and find it doesnt work. I wonder to myself... how long has it not worked???

I blow my whistle...and think....huh...still works. Sometimes....simple is best.

I also dont like the added "stuff' on my inflator hose, the added weight, flopping around. Yes..I had one...I took it off and threw it in the bin with other crap I wish I hadnt bought.

I've got a Dive Alert but never have had to use it. I have a safety sausage that I HAVE used and would not dive without one. I also carry a whistle, flashlight and mirror on every dive.

Ocean dives yes. They are loud and the sound is really obnoxious and gets peoples attention. Never underwater. If you need a noisemaker to locate a buddy underwater that's an indication that your buddy skills need work. Not a gear issue.

I ordered a Dive Alert today. I debated between the original above water only or the newer Dive Alert 2 that can also make a sound underwater. I hate underwater noise makers but decided to go with the newer version. I only plan on using it above water, and hopefully will never have to. I also carry a whistle and sausage. I have a dive trip planned in two weekends where we are going out 50 miles from the nearest land and figured I'd get it just in case.

I have a plain old dive alert that I keep on a bolt snap clipped off in my pocket, along with a regular old whistle, in case I ditch my tank or run out of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom