Dive Alert sound device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a dive Alert that resides in my pocket should I ever need to signal on the surface and it's backed up by a good old fashion low-tech whistle.

Those things are thoroughly annoying underwater.

I too have a DiveAlert horn the above water only one. I test it every now and again to make sure it's still working. I carry that, a mirror, whistle, big SMB, strobe and dye marker in an emergency pocket carried on all boat dives or where conditions dictate.

I have one, it works fine.
I consider one of my backup signalling devices (along with mirror / light / whistle).
My SMB has a longer range and is the only device I have every actually used.

The problem with any audio device is on the boat they have generators running, people talking, etc... and may not hear you. Even a very loud sound is hard to hear at distance.

I have one-an older model - and it is loud.
One possible word of caution (this from the guy in the LDS where I bought it): If you plan to use it, to protect your hearing, reach high with the arm holding the inflator hose, aim the horn away from you, and, if possible, keep your head under water, and/or use the shoulder on that same side to help cover that ear.

I know that his bit advice sounds like one that only a contortionist could follow, but the guy seemed sincere, and demonstrated the somewhat strange posture he described. Also, he would not activate the dive alert in the shop! ????
Salesmanship/a wicked, yet warped, sense of humor, or good advice?????
In any event, if the choices are "hearing problems" or "lost at sea"...........

One possible word of caution (this from the guy in the LDS where I bought it): If you plan to use it, to protect your hearing, reach high with the arm holding the inflator hose, aim the horn away from you, and, if possible, keep your head under water, and/or use the shoulder on that same side to help cover that ear.

I know that his bit advice sounds like one that only a contortionist could follow, but the guy seemed sincere, and demonstrated the somewhat strange posture he described. Also, he would not activate the dive alert in the shop! ????

It's good advice they are very loud indeed, when I first got mine I tried it in my lounge, that was a mistake, I knew it was loud but wow it was so loud it actually hurt. Yeah I know, you can't fix stupid.

I have had one for years. The sound carries so much better than a whistle it isn't funny. BUT the guy was not pulling your leg. if you don't put your head underwater while using it you can damage your ears. I NEVER use mine underwater but if you are in a current moving the wrong way on the surface - It can be very useful.

Buddhasummer has it right! I'm Air Force helicopter rescue pilot that has searched for many a lost diver over the last 20+ years. When the wind blows and white caps form it's almost impossible to see a diver in the water, unless they want to be found. A mirror flash can be seen for miles, it's been said over 60 miles on a sunny day. Sea dye and a sausage are also a must. At night, night vision goggles are so sensitive these days that we'll even see a mirror flash off of moon light. Strobes are ideal. Movement is what catches a searchers eye. One of the best low tech signaling devices is a 12 hour, preferably red chem glow stick (green will work) tied to 4-6 foot length of line. When one spins it over their head, the motion can be seen for miles by searchers on night vision. I also dive with a bright yellow sausage, mirror, sea dye, whistle, strobe, chem stick/6' line. Again, with the right signaling devices it's almost easier to find someone at night vs in the day, so advise folks to stay calm after the sun sets, it won't take long to be found.

I have seen the result of having a SS, and not having a SS. We ended up about a quarter mile from the boat after finishing a dive and obviously screwing up on the were to land. We both inflated the SS's and waited. We were seen immediately and picked up once the boat retrieved the rest of the group. By that time we were likely a mile out. It was ripping that day.

On a Spiegel Grove dive a new couple missed the wreck completely and drifted into the blue. No SS or signaling device of any kind. We searched for over an hour as did 6 other boats including a Coast Guard vessel. Finally a helicopter spotted them, and signaled us to pick them up. They hovered over the couple and they were much farther than we thought. We would never have seen them without the air support.

SS's are VERY effective and can be seen for miles. Carrying many signals is not foolish. I carry a SS, a whistle and mirror. I do not quack UW. :D

Speaking of signal mirrors, anyone have recommendations on a good one for UW that might last? The ones we've been carrying for some years, the plastic shells leaked long ago and the mirrors inside are mostly worthless at this point. I see 3 on LP, but no reviews or details and actually no claims of waterproofness on any of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom