Dive 400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jridg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Finally broke 400 today - It has been a banner year - I know there are those who dive more - and I have been diving over 20 years. But add 15 years of flying that significantly restricted my ability to get in the water - and the occasional deployment that also restricted my ability to get in the water - I am pleased with my numbers - they are coming up significantly now - 29 dives this year alone - so far - I have been 'lucky' to be in FL for the past five months and will be here for another two before heading back to socal. I am determined to make number 500 in a year or just over. :D

So - Dive number 400 - 28 feet for 75 minutes - Off Venice beach FL hunting for shark teeth - found one Megaladon tooth and a bunch of smaller ones. Water temp 75 - vis 10-20ft

My coldest dive - 28F in Maine getting sea scallops
My warmest - 85F in Cozumel
Worst Viz - absolute zero in Lake Ponchartrain, LA
Best - Probably Cozumel again - more than 100'

It's been a great trip so far - I plan to keep diving as long as I am able :)

congrats! you are well on your way to forgetting how many dives you have made and were it was that, that cool thing happened. 400 is a good benchmark, when you reach 500 it is even cooler, and 1000 is radical so keep diving allot. Then end up like me, somewhere around 1500-1800 they all meshed together in to one giant dive and I cant tell the difference any more. Even though they all mesh together I still try to go on 2-3 dives per week. Every dive is different and there is something about it that was cooler than the last. Like like one last week, or was it 3 months ago now, I don't know. but any way I almost got my face eaten of by a 10ft Morey eel with a head like a bull dog. I guess i stuck my nose in the wrong hole... Now that was awesome and gave me an incredible rush. PM me if you want the whole story... I don't want to offend any PETA people.

Congrats!!! :balloons: Keep up the good work. :wink:

Did you get any pic taken? :) I am coming up to 200, probably in May sometime, so I will probably dive as normal but get my buddy to take a pic of me holding up a sign for 200 to match the one I have from 100 :)

No pics - just a 3-1/2 inch Megaladon tooth - perhaps I should label it :wink:

I have found that over the years I have had 'good' diving years and 'bad' (meaning few dives). I plan on having far more good ones from here on out :)

2001 - 28 dives
2002 - 7 dives
2003 - 12 dives
2004 - 33 dives
2005 - 27 dives
2006 - 68 dives
2007 - 39 dives
2008 - 20 dives
2009 - 29 dives to date - need to beat my 2006 'record' :wink:

I think if I can get back with an instructor when I get home to San Diego, I will be able to get some extra diving going :D - that and the ease of shore dives and my relatively new fusion drysuit will get me into the water more often. I would love to have a 100 dive year.

I know there are people out there doing 300+ per year - I wish I could do that :) real life can be a pita sometimes...

Congratulations! Very few divers make it to 400 and very few find a 3½ inch meg. Getting both at the same time is awesome!

No pics - just a 3-1/2 inch Megaladon tooth - perhaps I should label it :wink:

Haha good idea. :D

Good luck on beating your record this year too :)

I agree with Walter a 3.5 in meg is a Prize on Its own, great find. Now if i could just find all those dive knives and lights that I lost in my first few years of diving... I Believe in you, you will have No Problem doing 100 dives in this year. Remember If you take 2 tanks with you to the beach on Saturday morning, you can do 2 dives in a day and even have lunch on the SI. when you get back to SD send me a message, we and dive scrips canyon, and if you come up to the OC I can show you the huge EEL.

I agree with Walter a 3.5 in meg is a Prize on Its own, great find. Now if i could just find all those dive knives and lights that I lost in my first few years of diving... I Believe in you, you will have No Problem doing 100 dives in this year. Remember If you take 2 tanks with you to the beach on Saturday morning, you can do 2 dives in a day and even have lunch on the SI. when you get back to SD send me a message, we and dive scrips canyon, and if you come up to the OC I can show you the huge EEL.

Sounds like a plan :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom