Ditch the snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MD,

Yes -- I am exclusively an OW diver, so my comments are geared towards that type of diving.

Went diving at Garbage Beach in Woods Hole yesterday. The weather was a little cold -- in fact as I crossed the Sagamore bridge, I saw about an inch of snow on the ground -- ugh!

Garbage Beach is a small beach adjacent to the Woods Hole Oceanographic institute. Air temp was about 45 or so. Water temp was about 43-44. 3 of us (including me) were diving in wetsuits. Max depth 50 feet. Total bottom time 38 minutes. Visibilty was very good -- I'd say 25 feet or so. GB faces due south -- winds were out of the north, so conditions were nice and calm.

This site is also about 500 yards from the Martha's Vineyard ferry terminal. A ferry came in while we where underwater -- the vibration was pretty amazing (the ferries apparently have 10 foot props).

The wetsuit divers were a little chilly (my hands were rather icy) after dive 1, so we opted for lunch at local diner instead of another dive....still, it was great to be back in the water exploring a new site I've never been to before!

-Chris

I usually have a plain old J-tube snorkel if I'm doing the scuba thing (no need if using a hookah).
I have a snorkel keeper threaded on a d-ring & just stuff the tube under my mask strap when I need it. I don't like them attached to my mask strap while I'm underwater, but for any amount of surface swimming, they're indespensible.
Your mileage will no doubt vary with the kind of diving you do.

There's nothin' more annoying than a snorkel after being away from one for so long. I had to use one for a DM class (PADI) -- what a drag!! Prior to that class, I didn't even know if I still owned a snorkel. Ditch it.

I don't particulary care for a 5' hose as compared to a 7'. The 7' hose is more comfortable IMO. I would probably like the 5' hose for thin wetsuit diving in the tropics, but I use my 7' for all my dives with great delight. I don't mind a 40" hose, but the 7' is the best all around hose. Just tuck the excess inside you waist strap or hook it on your knife if you don't have a light.

Good luck.

Mike

No, I just had it loop around. I didn't like it under the arm. I've been playing with it for the last four months. It works, but the 7 footer is the most comfortable and most streamlined, IMO.

Mike

MA Diver --

A few more clarifying comments on my set-up. I still dive a jacket BC...thus my choice of a 5 footer. As Lost Yoop and Pug say above, a 7 footer may work if you have something to loop the extra hose around...e.g. a canister light or a knife on your belt. For me, I felt like extra hose had a tendency to opo out sometimes if I didn't have it stowed just right -- not a huge deal....and this mainly occurred after deploying/restowing underwater.

So, given these variables -- the 5 footer works for me!

Back
Top Bottom