Disturbing trend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genesis seems to have quite a following :54:
I would like to say ditto to JeffG :
a) I don't agree with everything that he says
b) Some of the things he's says has merit, or at the least should be considered

and

c) People should not learn to dive on the internet.

I defentively think Genesis adds caracter to this board :freak: and I do enjoy a lot of his posts. Sometimes people just need someone to disagree with them to keep sharp, IMO.

I couln´t get in yesterday and so obviously I missed the riots so I really shouldnt say anything about the pulled threads other than that I generally feel that people are a lot smarter and more able to sift thru information then they get credit for (se point C above).

Bad language and such should be discouraged of course but I think most people can stand being called an idiot every once in a while. If they can´t well then maybe internet forums aren´t a good place for them. People sometimes "enhance" their posts with a few choice words to provoke or blow of steam. I feel thats not the end of the world...

Go ahead call me an idiot :wink:

grazie42:
People sometimes "enhance" their posts with a few choice words to provoke or blow of steam.

I feel that it's not the end of the world

Nope, just the end of the thread ... heh heh ... :D

Well, something occurred to me while reading a post about the Ginnie Springs get together. Gensesis' main stance is on instructors and agencies not requiring students to sign away liability, which is why he proposes self education (Actually, I interpret it as educate yourself, THEN take the class so that you aren't strictly taking the instructors word for it.) However, if we follow his logic, he should take responsibility for what he espouses, and at least put something in his sig line that takes responsibility for what it is that he proposes. It makes sense that if he wants the agencies to take responsibility for what they teach, that he take responsibility fo what he says.

Tao

I'm another fan of Karl being around. I don't always agree with him, but his points are often well-reasoned and informed. As another poster noted previously, Karl makes a good devils advocate, and god knows the devil needs an advocate or two from time to time.

It would be boring if we all agreed all the time.

I'm struggling to find more 'generic' and conservative 'middle of the road' comments than have been posted already

........ but it's really hard as everything has been said already.

I do hope this doesn't add fuel to the fire!

:54:

H2Andy:
sometimes, the tone and tenor of the thread is set by the first post, and pulling the whole thing makes sense because it will lead to little that is constructive.

In Poland we have a similar place to SB where I'm one of MOD. And there is another solution such as blocking the thread. So instead of deleting the thread MODs can block it righ after the first post. In fact we had a very similar situation - one of the instructor is writing controversial posts and all the others were simply shouting on him with all the anger. So i closed the thread and I do it with almost every post of this person (he publishes sort of his own philosophy of diving - and it's one post every week).
Mania

H2Andy:
i don't think it is fair to ask someone
to volunteer to work on the board and then ask him or her
not to participate. you would be surprise at the amount of
work the other Mods and higher do (not me... i just flame
people).

I don't think that that's what anyone is asking. It would make sense though for those who are directly involved to take a step back perhaps and let the others make the decisions in certain circumstances. I think that's what he was getting at.

My understanding is most people know Genesis' personality and tone and can either read it or skip it. I actually found myself supporting him in a very lengthy thread at thedecostop. What's right is right. While everyone has their own writing style, which is why Genesis can come under heat, I have to agree that if the members go too far it must be stopped. I wish there was a way to do this without pulling the thread, but the software running this site was developed elsewhere and we are at their mercy. I didn't see the thread at issue, but hopefully moderators will step in quickly and notify members what will happen if it isn't stopped. The members should be upset with those that went too far in flaming Genesis and sometimes we only learn when we get a slap on the wrist. Perhaps it takes pulling a thread so that people will know this site takes this seriously and will do it again. This is one reason this site is so popular as compared to other sites where anything goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom