Disturbing trend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My previous thought was based on the understanding that a thread was pulled since members were being too aggressive against Genesis. If the thread that is being discussed is what was closed where Genesis was complaining that he was being “threatened”, then I have no problem with that thread being closed. Genesis took the time to include the message that was sent to him … and if he didn’t, then perhaps ScubaBoard would have posted it. I think the message speaks for itself and there is really nothing further to discuss.

warren_l:
I don't think that that's what anyone is asking. It would make sense though for those who are directly involved to take a step back perhaps and let the others make the decisions in certain circumstances. I think that's what he was getting at.

i agree. this is what we've implemented recently.

mania:
And there is another solution such as blocking the thread. So instead of deleting the thread MODs can block it righ after the first post.

this is a very good suggestion.

We used to have a guy like Genesis in our Financial Analysts luncheons. His name was Paul, he was a PR, not a financial guy, and he used to shake up the meetings by asking these most blunt questions of the management at the podium. Like, "How come you guys make so much money?". We CFA's would just cringe when Paul would speak, because we were conditioned to always be diplomatic, subtle, tangential. After all, you never know when you might want to do some business with them...

When Paul stopped attending these meetings, I kind of missed him. Same with Genesis.

My main beef is twofold 1) the hijacking of threads to go totally off-topic. 2) the tone.

That Ginnie Springs thread was about a rescue. Then it turned into a discussion of overhead environments. I quit reading it when it seemed to become a personal argument. From what I gather, it degenerated from there and I agree, that should be deleted as it wastes valuable user time to read what amounts to a brawl.

I think going off-topic can reveal useful information I had not thought about or wasn't aware of. Pulling the whole thread, we lose that.

I think the thread should be truncated and reposted somewhere else when it gets that far off topic. Just like is already done when someone posts a Medical or Mexican problem in the wrong area.

As to tone, I have also gotten abit hot when I feel someone is personally attacking me.
No idea what to do about that one.

As to tone,

DepartureDiver:
My previous thought was based on the understanding that a thread was pulled since members were being too aggressive against Genesis. If the thread that is being discussed is what was closed where Genesis was complaining that he was being “threatened”, then I have no problem with that thread being closed. Genesis took the time to include the message that was sent to him … and if he didn’t, then perhaps ScubaBoard would have posted it. I think the message speaks for itself and there is really nothing further to discuss.
There seems to be some thread confusion here.

1:) There is a thread started by Genesis, where he posts the PM NetDoc sent him. Asking him to cease and desist. This thread is still visible, but locked.

2:) Another thread was started, late last night, where some members of ScubaBoard were stating their elation that Genesis would not be posting here anymore.

That thread was deleted, and is the starting subject of this thread.

H2Andy:
he was not banned. he was asked not to express the view
that learning to dive OW and overhead was safer without
an instructor, for obvious reasons.
What are the obvious reasons? Many people feel it is just as deadly to rely on Spare Air (death), or a pony, or dive solo, or use "suicide" clips, or service your own regulators, or... well, you get the point. Please make a list of views we should not express because you think they are unsafe. A lot of stupid ideas are openly discussed on SB. I have a feeling that it is the poster, not the post that offends.

PS. The deep dives being discussed in this new thread http://www.scubaboard.com/t49269.html are obviously more dangerous than being OW trained by a mentor. Please pull it at once.

But he was advocating that you could just go out there and do it without taking a class ... even an OW class ... that is a little different than just debating an issue when one is uniformed with differing viewpoints. There could definitely be a liability issue with that. It doesn't appear that the trend is to censor people, but only to be careful when clearly bad ideas are being suggested as being okay ... such as an OW diver being told he can go to 200' on air for 20 min. and then need not decompress.

Rick Inman:
What are the obvious reasons? Many people feel it is just as deadly to rely on Spare Air (death), or a pony, or dive solo, or use "suicide" clips, or service your own regulators, or... well, you get the point. Please make a list of views we should not express because you think they are unsafe. A lot of stupid ideas are openly discussed on SB. I have a feeling that it is the poster, not the post that offends.

Rick,

The problem was when Karl started jumping to other threads with this viewpoint strictly to make this point when the rest of us started to let the threads he was hijacking die or ignore him (as we had made our points and didn't feel like arguing back and forth anymore). I thought that Pete handled the issue in a very fair manner. It actually started on a thread about unintentional deco on dive computers and seemed to spread from there. I was involved in most of these threads and was tired of "the feud" spreading to other threads (and no, I have NEVER reported so much as a post here). I know that the moderators had be going crazy handling all the firehoses from the flames. I do believe that they had better things to do.

I really do hope to hear more from Genesis. But, I, personally, would prefer to see some restraint on EVERYBODY's part when he says something. Many of his ideas have a good basis but take a left turn at (that town in New Mexico). That doesn't make them not worth hearing. It does mean that people should know to take them with a grain of salt.

Just my 2 psi (if it is worth that is for you to decide)

i think the bottom line is that different people would solve the problem differently.

we chose a course of action, and for good or ill, that is what was done.

as i am a junior Moderator, i will now sign off and let those with more experience
and time on the board answer your questions if they so choose.

diverbrian:
Rick,
It actually started on a thread about unintentional deco on dive computers and seemed to spread from there. I was involved in most of these threads and was tired of "the feud" spreading to other threads. I know that the moderators had be going crazy handling all the firehoses from the flames. I do believe that they had better things to do.
I see your point. Sometimes me sees thru a glass darkly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom