Displaying u/w photos in your home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally think that prints and digital are two very different ways to look at photographs. If you go the frame route, FrameUSA sells very inexpensive black metal museum type frames in all sizes. Matting you can do at home with a cheap mat cutter or even an xacto blade and a straight edge. Well done prints are very difficult to make but when you do get there, they are far more "artistic" to my eyes than any digital projection of any of my images at least.
We saw a Paul Nicklin exhibit here in LA and some of his pictures were both printed and displayed on big projection screens. The prints were by far (to me) the more impressive.

Bill

A lot of the question is also how fancy things need to be ... is the intended application for the photo to be to hang it as a centerpiece in the formal living room, or is it to just cover a wall in the rustic basement Rec Room?

Probably more so for the latter, but don't forget one's local "Warehouse Club" Store for printing services.

For example, Costco sells 20" x 30" (lustre only) prints for $9, or mounted on (foam) poster board for $25. There's often also a 'print on canvas' service for a bit more...a 16"x20" is under $50.

-hh

A lot of the question is also how fancy things need to be ... is the intended application for the photo to be to hang it as a centerpiece in the formal living room, or is it to just cover a wall in the rustic basement Rec Room?

Probably more so for the latter, but don't forget one's local "Warehouse Club" Store for printing services.

For example, Costco sells 20" x 30" (lustre only) prints for $9, or mounted on (foam) poster board for $25. There's often also a 'print on canvas' service for a bit more...a 16"x20" is under $50.

-hh

HH,
What quality are we talking for this? Can they take a 21 megapixel image in tif format or psd, and generate this at photo quality ?
I myself have an epson 4880 printer.....Ink alone on a 17 by 23 is probably $15, and the photo paper around $6....Just wondering what they are using to generate this kind of price....If it looks like a real photo print, this would be awesome!!!

We have tried the Costco method at 2 locations. Not very impressed. Often times they were cropped or off center and streaks.scratches could be seen at certain angles. Also, in shots with a large amount of blue or light colors i have seen a lot of noise. Also with blue shots the gradient from shade to shade is very defined. As in halo shots. This disappeared when we used our home Canon inkjet or had 20x30's done at a local printer.
Not sure if you can upload raw images. Mine had always been automatically reprocessed to JPEG. may just be a setting.

A lot depends on your Costco. They don't print inkjet (mostly) but use standard wet chemical processing on Fuji Crystal Archive paper. They do use digital technology to expose the paper. We use them all the time and for LAUPS we have used them for gallery prints. At least in our hands Costco is just fine for display prints. They can take as big a file as you have bandwidth for over the cloud or you could bring it to them on a thumb drive.

Bill

For that price, I would be more than happy to go into the store to talk to them and buy a sample of my shot so I could see the quality. That is assuming it is something you can discuss in person at a local Costco. I spent a lot more than that having my 20" x 30" printed and plaqued but with zero regrets or issues other than the long time (about 8 weeks all totaled up). Thanks for the tip.

I understand that many here just want an experience to get on the wall, and they will not see it as worth much expense....and then, there are those who have really worked at their underwater photography as an Art, and they have invested so much time and money in this, that when they get that FANTASTIC SHOT...they will want ABSOLUTE PERFECTION in the printing of it.

I have found ONE WAY only to get this...A company in Miami specializes in calibrating "monitors with printers" for big commercial print houses all over the US, AND, they specialize in this for top photographers that want the great shot on their computer screen from LightRoom or Photoshop, to look EXACTLY like this when they hit PRINT. Yellowcase yellowcase.com | does this, and leaves you with a calibration not only perfect, but with profiles for big pro level printers, like their Epson 9880 or larger printers ( more tban 40 inches wide, and any length you want from the roll paper which is photo paper, or luster, or canvas, or metal, whatever you want...and there are profiles for you to see how your image will print on each of these different medias, on this printer ( on your screen--simulations) ...eg..Canvas does not print out with the same saturation and lighting look that photop paper does.. Metal will have a unique look all of its own, awesome for some photos, not so perfect for others.
Matias, the owner of Yellowcase and the guy that would be doing the high end calibration work, is also a University professor that has taught photoshop and light room University of Miami, as well as a diver and underwater photographer ( though he does not dive a lot like we do :)

What I am saying, is you have Matias calibrate your printer at home with your monitor, and then you can send HIM or other pro level printing companies your maximum quality image files, and have them print EXACTLY the way you saw them on your screen.

Matias has fair prices for the big prints, like 30 by 40 size and much much larger...but not anything like costco prices :D

DanV

p.s.

here is an article I have on him...
workshop

What quality are we talking for this? Can they take a 21 megapixel image in tif format or psd, and generate this at photo quality ?

I don't think so. It looks like their system is JPEG only, which can be managed on our end.

I myself have an epson 4880 printer.....Ink alone...!!!

I found their print quality (particularly on 12"x18") to be good enough that when my Epson wide format printer finally died, I decided to not bother replacing it.

We have tried the Costco method at 2 locations. Not very impressed. Often times they were cropped or off center and streaks....noise...gradient...This disappeared when we used our home Canon inkjet or had 20x30's done at a local printer.

I think it is important for us to remember that Costco is targeting the basic consumer who's looking for 4x6 prints of the kid's birthday party to send to Aunt Ethyl in Florida, so a lot of "make it easy/convenient" stuff is present.

The way that we can get more quality out of their service is to minimize them changing our original.

The default Costco settings will clobber your JPEG with a "Fast Upload" default setting. Changing to the "Full Resolution" option will help.

I think they have an "auto adjust" feature hidden somewhere ... best to similarly avoid like the plague.

I know that they have an "auto crop" feature too. There are adjustment tools, but we're probably better off if we minimize this from potentially messing us up by make sure that our original is of the correct ratio for our intended output format. However, let us not forget that output formats don't all have the same ratio, so we may want to edit the original twice to put it into each of the two slightly different ratios and upload two versions instead of one. Yes, twice as much work, but not too much extra work. Remember, it is for the cause of a cheap print :D

A lot depends on your Costco. They don't print inkjet (mostly) but use standard wet chemical processing on Fuji Crystal Archive paper. They do use digital technology to expose the paper. We use them all the time and for LAUPS we have used them for gallery prints. At least in our hands Costco is just fine for display prints. They can take as big a file as you have bandwidth for over the cloud or you could bring it to them on a thumb drive.

Good points, particularly on the "sneakernet your USB flash drive". Expanding on that, I believe my local Cosco's "Photo Kiosk" also has slots that can take standard camera memory cards (eg, SD, Compact Flash). For those of us that are going to rework an image in Photoshop to the exact form we want to give Costco, one can reformat an existing CF card and then drop those Photoshop-reworked JPEGs on it.

BTW, not all of the Costco stuff is printed locally, so while some can have fast turnarounds, some (eg, print on canvas) can be a few days for its turnaround. This does mean that we can also consider some mail order companies as another printing alternative, I personally don't mind using Costco anyway, as they'll drop-ship to themselves and IIRC, not backcharge me for the shipping.

-hh

The best thing to do IMO is to get a Digital Photo Frame they are coming dwn a lot in price and you can put them anywhere and not have to choose one Pic you can put all your best shots on there and have it cycle through the pics so Guests that come can see. Unless as others have discussed if it's one specific picture that you want Large than getting it framed would be the way

I have found ONE WAY only to get this...A company in Miami specializes in calibrating "monitors with printers" for big commercial print houses all over the US, AND, they specialize in this for top photographers that want the great shot on their computer screen from LightRoom or Photoshop, to look EXACTLY like this when they hit PRINT. .
workshop

Such a good point. We have 2 laptops. Our Hp looks great until you order prints (last years Calendar) or display on the plasma screen and every thing looks very dark. When we print or upload off the Apple they look great. I have often wondered what my images look like to others with differing screens and settings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom