Displaying u/w photos in your home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vagabonding

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I realize this isn't a design site, but after accumulating a sizable number of favorite u/w shots over the years -- it is beyond time for me to pull the photos off my computer and have them printed. (Frankly the walls of my apartment are way too bare.) I was curious if anyone on the board had any suggestions or a favorite setup for displaying/organizing their actual prints (types of frames, matting, glass, etc). Photos of your layout are a plus!

So much focus on this board is given to setting up the shots, selecting our favorite equipment, and tweaking the shots in post-processing, that it would be nice to discuss that "final step."

Cheers!

Ben

I have this one blown up and on my wall.....

p671117728-2.jpg

I had it printed in 20"x30" and had that plaqued.......looks awesome on the wall IMO. It is an older photo for me but one that holds a special place with me :D. I did this all through Black's (a photography chain) and did not do it online.

I am considering doing the same with a couple newer photographs from Thailand.

I realize this isn't a design site, but after accumulating a sizable number of favorite u/w shots over the years -- it is beyond time for me to pull the photos off my computer and have them printed. (Frankly the walls of my apartment are way too bare.) I was curious if anyone on the board had any suggestions or a favorite setup for displaying/organizing their actual prints (types of frames, matting, glass, etc). Photos of your layout are a plus!

So much focus on this board is given to setting up the shots, selecting our favorite equipment, and tweaking the shots in post-processing, that it would be nice to discuss that "final step."

Cheers!

Ben

Actually, this is a topic that should get some real attention on SB.
Many of us take pictures, FEW of us can Figure out a good way to display them in our homes.
Frames are typically a huge cost, and rarely contribute to the look of the photo...Matting is another enormous cost.

Their used to be a plastic cover and cardboard box like frame the photo would sit on, the plastic cover holding it down an protecting it...and this could be mounted on the wall...they were cheap, but I don't know if they went to as large as 17 by 23....which is closer to the size I would want for a wall...if not twice this size.

You can go to kinkos and have them laminate on to foam core, but the laminate is poor for image quality.... I am thinking the best may be to learn how to use spray mount without causing bubbles to be left on your photo, and spray mount to pre-cut foam core, on photo quality printing paper...forget the plastic or glass cover. There may even be a "surface spray" that would be optically invisible, but would protect the photo finish.. and then mount the foam core structure to the wall.

You can also print to canvas, meaning someone might come up with a cool "pull-down" window shade of underwater photo art :) , in addition to the obvious use of canvas on box structure wrapped, mounted to wall as art.

Anybody else have so new ideas on this?

You missed the plaque option. Your photo is laminated onto an MDF board. It is much more rugged than any foam but is not cheap. I like the looks of them, though a nice frame and professional matting can look much better.

Actually, this is a topic that should get some real attention on SB.
Many of us take pictures, FEW of us can Figure out a good way to display them in our homes.
Frames are typically a huge cost, and rarely contribute to the look of the photo...Matting is another enormous cost.

Their used to be a plastic cover and cardboard box like frame the photo would sit on, the plastic cover holding it down an protecting it...and this could be mounted on the wall...they were cheap, but I don't know if they went to as large as 17 by 23....which is closer to the size I would want for a wall...if not twice this size.

You can go to kinkos and have them laminate on to foam core, but the laminate is poor for image quality.... I am thinking the best may be to learn how to use spray mount without causing bubbles to be left on your photo, and spray mount to pre-cut foam core, on photo quality printing paper...forget the plastic or glass cover. There may even be a "surface spray" that would be optically invisible, but would protect the photo finish.. and then mount the foam core structure to the wall.

You can also print to canvas, meaning someone might come up with a cool "pull-down" window shade of underwater photo art :) , in addition to the obvious use of canvas on box structure wrapped, mounted to wall as art.

Anybody else have so new ideas on this?

By the way, if anybody has anything like the pull down shade idea, I would be very interested. That sounds like an excellent idea.

If you have a nice flat panel TV, use it as a mega-digital frame....... since framing is so bloody costly, I've stuck with the digital frames. As a plus, they are changing constantly, so it doesn't get old....

I have 1 picture that was shot using film. By the time I sent it out to Kodak to print large scale, matting, frame, museum glass... for the money, I could have gone on another trip......

You missed the plaque option. Your photo is laminated onto an MDF board. It is much more rugged than any foam but is not cheap. I like the looks of them, though a nice frame and professional matting can look much better.

By the way, if anybody has anything like the pull down shade idea, I would be very interested. That sounds like an excellent idea.

And if you do, have it with you for the DEMA Show in November...that could be a bonanza for someone :)

+1 for the digital option. Our photos are flipping all the time on various computer or TV screens and digital frames around the house.

as a side note, no matter what you do, when your wife changes the room color, the money put into the picture for matting, and the frame, won't work.......

Back
Top Bottom