Dislocated shoulder and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently dislocated my shoulder in a bizarre swimming accident. The MRI shows a partially torn labrum. I'm on the mend and I start physical therapy next week. Are there any cautions about returning to diving regarding DCS and scar tissue? Is there any recomended amount of time to dry out?

I usually dive in cool freshwater and was planning on doing more decompression diving this year. Are there any precautions I should take?

Tony

Sorry about the delay on this response; I dislocated my shoulder about four times before I took a (slight) hit in after a dayof deep wreck diving. No big worries; just a bit of bubbles that made the joint squeak when I moved it, some mild crepitis, and a bunch of achiness . Total relief of sx on dives or on 02...

Ive since had it repaired, had no recent dislocations, and dive harder than most people think is sane, and have had no more problems.

Any area of you body with scar tissue is more prone to take a hit. Fortunately, these hits are highly localized and unlikely to do damage.

well, this isn't strictly to do with decompression, but I also had a dislocated shoulder. Multiple dislocations, actually, but things seemed ok, if a little loose. Problem is that arms above your head is the most unstable position for your shoulder. What happened to me is that I was on the surface, and decided to descend head-first. This involved moving my arms over my head to prepare the diving maneuver. Pop, out comes my shoulder and the arm is now no longer useful. Fortunately, I am still on the surface and near the boat, whose crew helps me back on board.

This incident was the first time my shoulder popped out without any external force (previous times were rock climbing, with weight on that arm), and I was able to pop it back in.

Point is, if your shoulder is loose, it could possibly dislocate doing something ordinary. Dislocating it underwater might be a problem. Certainly more task loading. This maybe a potentially more serious problem than DCS and scar tissue.

I've subsequently undergone surgery to fix (torn labrum and Hill-Sachs defect repaired, for those who know what that is), and all is well.

-Simon

General speaking, anything that disrupts/interrupts bloodflow like wounds, broken limbs, etc might cause extra risk for DCS. At these sites there is no/less bloodflow to carry off excess nitrogen during deco. I guess (!) that keeps bubbles on the spot as well and prevents them from flowing through your body causing embolisms (like I said, that is a guess :06: ).

Thanks All. It's good to hear from people who have been there. I'm still going to PT, but I've been in the water for some shallower dives without any problems. Luckily, I can still reach my valves to do shutdowns. I guess I'll have to be more careful. All in all, I'd rather be weak in the shoulders than weak in the knees.

I shredded my right pec BAD BAD BAD, the mri looked like someone took a food processor and jabbed me in the chest with it, its been over 9 months and I still have some pain, been diving no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom