Discovery!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spencer!

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had no idea people dove with vintage gear. I just stumbled upon this thread... Anyway, I have a bunch of vintage regs and backpacks and a set of doubles, etc... that I just got from my dad - this gear is 30-40 years old. How can I determine if it is safe to use? Are replacement parts available for some of this stuff (vague question without knowing specifically what I have, i know)? I've been terribly curious about it but have been afraid to actually hook anything up to pressure for fear I would destroy it. If I posted pictures, would that help?

Any information would be appreciated!
Spencer

You absolutely came to the right place. Please post some pictures. You might want to have someone like Bryan at vintagedoublehose.com or Dan from vintagescubasupply.com looks at it first. A complete rebuild is very inexpensive if you intend to dive with it.

I'm new to vintage diving myself and have found lots of information in this forum. There are no large ego's to deal with here, so even the most basic of questions are answered courteously.

A lot of vintage gear is very safe to dive once it has been service.

For the most part US Divers (now Aqua Lung) and Voit are easy to find parts for and can be easily serviced. Other may be more difficult, but not impossible.

There were some unique pieces of vintage gear that should stay on a display and may not be fit anymore for diving, but many more items can be serviced and used for diving.

Tanks unless they are full of rust will last essentially for ever. Most valves can be serviced including the reserve in "J" valves.

Other rubber items like masks, fins, horse collar BC's, etc., you can normally judge yourself if it is fit for diving.

You should also join the other two vintage forums for more information (see links on the post above). Many of the members visit all three sites, but you will find good different information in all three.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks!
I've been reading some old threads about all your vintage gear and I am inspired.
I am absolutely going to dive this gear (assuming that it is safe and I can service it properly). I will try to get some pics up soon!

Spencer

Don't lissten to them! Old gear is dangerous! You should gather up all you have pack it very very carefully, and send it to me as soon as you can, and I will make sure it gets disposed of properly!!!! :)

Welcome to the clan of frogmen and women. We were there first, we are PrePadIazoic and proud of it.

Please allow us to critique your new old gear and give pointers, visit www.vintagedoublehose.com and www.vintagescubasupply forums for tips, knowledge and general harrasment by actual diving experts, proven by not having killed themselves in multiple decades of diving.

Welcome neophyte frogman.

BTW, some of have met in the real world and actually verified we are not internet commandos.

N

Nemrod:
Welcome to the clan of frogmen and women. We were there first, we are PrePadIazoic and proud of it.

Please allow us to critique your new old gear and give pointers, visit www.vintagedoublehose.com and www.vintagescubasupply forums for tips, knowledge and general harrasment by actual diving experts, proven by not having killed themselves in multiple decades of diving.

Welcome neophyte frogman.

BTW, some of have met in the real world and actually verified we are not internet commandos.

N

PrePadIazoic, I like it. From now on when I am asked what agency I was certified be I will reply, PrePadIazoic

Sadly, I am delayed. I had a camera accident on Saturday, and have not been able to take the photos. So I am busying myself cleaning all the dust off the gear... Surprisingly for me, there is very little damage or perishing of any rubber except on one mask and the speargun rubber bands, so I am hopefull that everything will be in working condition with little effort:) I will keep updating as events warrant...

Spencer
soon to be neophyte frogman...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom