Discovery Diving or Pelican Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anybody has ever used either of these charters. I'll be in NC in July and was going to do some diving. Positives? Negatives? Thanks.

I have a feeling we are talking across topics here, but..
I used Pelican diver when I was in Aruba in Dec. They were a safe recreational operation and had nice people.

Some how, I don't think they have an operation in NC.

Howdy!

Most operators in the area are consistent in the level of service they provide. What differs is the size or type of boat (six pack or larger vessels capable of carrying 15 -36 passengers; DRY or WET boats meaning whether the boat cuts through the water in such a way that water sprays the divers or not etc.)

Price varies by operator as well from $80 for all dives inshore or offshore from the Diver Down at www.diverdownscubadiving.com to $95-$100 for ONLY offshore from Discovery Diving at www.discoverydiving.com or Olympus Diving at www.olympusdiving.com.

But whats most important in my opinion is where they take you to dive. NC is NOTED in Rodales for WARM, BLUE, CLEAR water which is the Gulf Stream, Atlantic SandTiger Sharks which congregate on the offshore wrecks and historical wrecks such as the U-352 the FIRST German U-Boat we sank in WWII or the USS Schurz sunk in 1918 and loaded with artifacts BUT all located offshore NOT inshore. The Gulf Stream usually runs OFFSHORE and sometimes makes it completely INSHORE but not always. Inshore wrecks are more shallow (30-60ft) and run a few degrees cooler (3-5degrees) as well as generally have less vis UNLESS the Gulf is running completely inshore (generally 30+ ft of vis as compared to 60-150ft offshore.)

So......if you are new to NC Diving or are new to diving around 100+ ft then check into an operator that will do inshore wrecks so you can "cut your teeth" so to speak on them. BUT Then find an operator that offers OFFSHORE wrecks such as the ones listed above so you can REALLY experience the BEST of NC Wreck and Shark Diving.

Please NOTE: All operators will dive inshore if weather is an issue, or seas or divers request it. However some operators NORMALLY ALWAYS go offshore if the seas/weather permit since they are ALSO divers and want to dive too! Some operators charge MORE for diving BOTH dives offshore and ALL operators charge more for diving what we call FAR OFFSHORE because the fuel expense is so much greater to get there.

Hope that helps. I can give you more information if you like as I have dove with all the operators you've mentioned and I have mentioned. I also know a charter coordinator that runs trips to the area and has 2 in July and offers a pkg deal that includes hotel, diving (both dives offshore), NC BBQ, tank fills including nitrox, etc. for very inexpensive rates. They cater to Drive in as well as Fly in divers. If you want info on them I'd be happy to give you their contact info. Thanks and good luck diving!

I'd vote for Olympus, very long story, but I think they're best... have more than 500 dives with them and, well you know, I am just a bit biased. I will say that none are bad, just different.

Back
Top Bottom