Discovery Channel Episode shows how tanks are made

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the vids. Never saw a tank being made before. Interesting stuff.

FD

Or youtube....

Seems odd in the AL video that they can hydro the tank before they:
- finish sand it
- paint it
- heat cure the paint on

I've always read re-painting and heat curing tanks is to be avoided since it can change the properties of the tank.

Also - I had no idea the steel tank walls are so much thinner than AL tanks. It takes 32lbs of AL to make a tank but the steel blanks are only 1/4" thick circles that are 42 cm in diameter? Amazing. The tensile strength must be much stronger for a given thickness than AL.

I would assume that since it's all done at the factory and the tanks are brand new, it's allowed since there shouldn't be any corrosion.

snepdiver:
The show is called: How things are made.

I saw the episode today and it was very interesting and now I will stop complaining about how much they cost. They show the pressed version. There is a scene of a worker installing a Worthington label so I guess it is in their factory.
The episode also included hockey pucks and wool thread.

The show is called: How things are made.

I just found it interesting and thought some of my fellow SB'ers would as well.

Its called "How its made".. I saw that episode.. Great one.. They need a new commentator but informative none the less..

Modern Marvels is still the ****..

"How It's Made" is one of my favorite shows.

Modern Marvels, I have a hard time applying the word "Marvel" to a lot of the stuff they cover.

Damselfish:
Modern Marvels, I have a hard time applying the word "Marvel" to a lot of the stuff they cover.

When the show first came on they were Marvels.. Now I think they are running out of things for the show..

Those were some really good videos. Its like watching babies get born :D

I do agree with code cruncher though. Seems strange to do the hydro before you change the tolerances of the tank wall by sanding and heat curing the paint.

Hey, Thanks SparticleBrane for posting those videos. Very interesting to make the comparison between Al and Steel.

Doc Ed:
Those were some really good videos. Its like watching babies get born :D

I do agree with code cruncher though. Seems strange to do the hydro before you change the tolerances of the tank wall by sanding and heat curing the paint.
Because when they sand them, all they are doing is taking off the tiniest of outer layers to either make the tank shiny (as in the case of those 'brushed aluminum' tanks), or probably to make it rough for a coat of paint.
I doubt that the few atoms taken off from the minimal sanding process, or the paint, have little to add to the structural integrity of the cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom